About the role
The Outer Space Management Committee (made up of 10 Board members) is a working,
volunteer Board, the oversees the governance and financial management of a small but agile
arts organisation, that has recently transitioned from an artist-run space, to an arts organisation.
Outer Space is looking for a new executive Board member to lead the development of annual
budgets for Outer Space, to develop annual projections of funding and financial positioning to
inform Board decisions about future investment and employment, and undertake general
bookkeeping and account management.
The key responsibilities include:
- Attend 1 x Board meeting (after hours) per month, in addition to managing Finance
subcommittee ad hoc meetings
- Developing and monitoring an overall annual budget, and individual grant budgets
- Providing direct guidance to paid staff on budget management
- Reporting to the Board every month on the revenue received and expenses incurred
- Overseeing accounts payable for gallery expenses including payments to creatives
- Overseeing accounts receivable including monitoring receipts from funding bodies such
as the Australia Council for the Arts and State Government funding via Arts Queensland
- Providing input to funding acquittals (e.g. advice on grant expenditure and any remaining
- Providing guidance to the Shadow Treasurer (volunteer position)
- Liaise with the external auditors and consultants
- Strong financial and management accounting background and knowledge of accounting
principles, standards and concepts
- Experience with not-for-profit organisations and in using Xero is desirable, but not
- It is strongly preferred that the successful applicant is able to commit to two years with
the organisation as part of the Board leadership team.
About the organisation
Outer Space is a Brisbane-based not-for-profit contemporary arts organisation. We collaborate with emerging and mid-career artists and arts workers to develop, make, and present critically engaged creative practice in a supportive professional environment.
Our exhibitions, events and public programs welcome those involved in, and curious about, the arts. Outer Space is committed to fostering a sustainable creative community in Brisbane that engages local, regional, national and global contexts. We manage a gallery space at the Judith Wright Centre, an office space, artist studio space in Fortitude Valley, and run regular exhibitions onsite at our Gallery and online.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Treasurer via Pro Bono Australia.