About the role
Our Pills Talk is an award-winning medication safety app for anyone who has difficulty reading their prescription medicine labels. The app assists by speaking aloud prescription medicine labels and was designed with Australia’s most vulnerable populations in mind, including but not limited to those facing disability, visually impaired, the elderly, early stage dementia, ESL (English-as-a-Second Language), as well as Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islanders.
The importance of the app has been recognised through the NSW’s Government recognition of Our Pills Talk as the inaugural award recipient of “Enabling System Change”. Our Pills Talk aspires to save lives and reduce adverse drug events, where inadvertent prescription misuse result in $1.4B per annum in emergency department visits.
We are now seeking volunteer Advocates who care about the community and seek an opportunity to make a positive difference. This volunteering opportunity is ideally suited for those passionate about the health sector, assisting disadvantaged populations and raising awareness. Benefits for Advocates volunteers include, but are not limited to: flexible participation; skill enhancement; network expansion; and the fulfilment of raising awareness around the importance of adverse drug events.
The term of service and hours are flexible based on the volunteer participant’s availability. Therefore, terms of service are based on the individual; however, a period of at least three months is recommended in order to experience the full benefits of the role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Acquire an understanding of the work and the value of Our Pills Talk (https://ourpillstalk.com.au/).
- Contact and raise awareness around Our Pills Talk with key stakeholder groups such as pharmacies, community service organisations and others.
- Plan and conducting effective ‘engagement campaigns’. This includes, but is not limited to providing stakeholders with promotional materials and making presentations (where applicable) to raise awareness for adverse drug events.
- Actively participate in induction training program and ongoing support functions.
- Assume responsibility for achieving canvassing goals established by volunteer Advocate and staff.
- Maintain records for assigned ‘account engagement’ including results of activities, contact details, etc.
- Provide an evaluation with recommendations for each assigned account, outlining future growth opportunities.
- Participate in periodic one-on-one meetings with Our Pills Talk staff in order to discuss opportunities and challenges.
In order to be successful in this position, our Advocates must consistently demonstrate:
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn new skills and share knowledge with others.
- Ability to adjust and work in a variety of work environments/cultures.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including giving effective group presentations.
- Ability to manage many projects at one time, prioritising and planning for high efficiency.
- A commitment to providing excellent customer service and represent professionally the brand, Our Pills Talk.
- Ability to manage issues and address challenges calmly, with diplomacy and tact.
Interaction (Internal and external):
- Pharmacies, Pharmacists & Pharmacy Staff Community Organisations that service potential Our Pills Talk clients.
- Our Pills Talk staff and representatives.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Passion for Our Pills Talk and vulnerable populations.
- High School, some uni or a four-year degree preferred; sales and/or marketing experience helpful.
- Ability to take initiative and develop positive collaborations with a wide range of personalities.
- Attention to detail, follow-through and problem solving.
- Willing to be mobile and incur travel at one’s expense.
Reports To: Our Pills Talk CEO & Founder Our Pills Talk does not intend to enter into a legally enforceable contract.
Applications will be accepted until volunteer Advocate roles are filled.
*Interested applicants are to submit their interest to email@example.com by including a brief cover letter and CV.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Medication Safety Support Advocate via Pro Bono Australia.