About the role
About Paddle Australia
Paddle Australia (PA) is the National Sporting Organisation (NSO) responsible for the management, coordination, development, and promotion of paddling in Australia. PA is recognised by the Federal Government and represents the interests of its members to government and the public. PA’s vision, contained in the Strategic Plan for Paddling in Australia, is for ‘A United Paddling Community’.
PA is committed to the provision of a high standard of competition, safety, and opportunity for paddling participation in Australia. This includes the development and delivery of the successful Canoe Slalom and Canoe Sprint Olympic and Paralympic programs and the six non-Olympic disciplines (Canoe Freestyle, Canoe Marathon, Canoe Ocean Racing, Canoe Polo, Wildwater Canoeing, and SUP), as well as recreational paddling.
PA is recognised by the International Canoe Federation (ICF); Oceania Canoe Association (OCA); Sport Australia (SA) and Australian Institute of Sport (AIS); Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) and Paralympics Australia. As the peak body for paddle-related activity in Australia, PA works collaboratively with six (6) State Paddle Associations (SPAs), around 125 active clubs, eight (8) disciplines and approximately 12,000 members, instructors, and coaches.
Operating in a commercial and inclusive manner with government, business, and community, PA ensures the value of competitive and recreational paddling is understood and supported in all policy and business decisions.
There are currently six members of the PA Board. The Board comprises of five (5) Elected Directors and one (1) Appointed Director. The Board is now seeking two (2) additional Appointed Directors to complement the skills of the current directors.
The PA Board of Directors is responsible for the governance of PA and its strategic development and growth. Key functions are delegated to Board Committees, the CEO, and senior management. The Board has final responsibility for the governance of the organisation. In doing so, it strives to achieve best practice principles. The Board is particularly conscious of the need to ensure the organisation adapts quickly and effectively to the post COVID-19 environment.
The key roles of the Board of Directors include:
- Formulating and implementing goals and strategic direction.
- Determining policies relevant to the governance and performance management of the business.
- Ensuring compliance with legal requirements.
- Approving the budget.
- Ensuring the financial viability of the organisation.
- Appointing and managing the performance of the CEO; and
- Establishing and determining the functions of Board committees
PA is seeking Expressions of Interest for two new members of the Board of Directors with a range of skills and backgrounds as we take PA through the next phase of its transformation. Experience in sports governance and an understanding of the Australian sporting landscape is preferred but not essential.
Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas is desirable:
- Experience and/or qualifications as a Company Director.
- Interest in canoeing, kayaking or paddling generally.
- Background and experience in community sport and participation.
- Experience and knowledge in corporate governance.
- Experience or knowledge in management, development and delivery of educational programs.
- Understanding of high-performance activities related to sport.
- Experience and knowledge in commercialisation of assets and business development.
- Experience and knowledge in marketing, branding and communication strategies.
- Expertise in reviewing strategy through constructive questioning and suggestions.
- Knowledge of information technology strategies.
- Experience and knowledge in research techniques and consumer insights.
- Experience and knowledge in human resource management.
PA’s organisational focus is on initiatives that will transform paddling in Australia at all levels, delivered principally through improved digital capability. Collaboration, communication, flexibility, adaptability, and constant readiness to change will ensure both the technical and the human components of the organisation work seamlessly together to achieve our goal. To this end, PA is looking to strengthen its Board skillset with two new Appointed Directors with expertise in:
- Workforce and change management
- Digital and information systems management
The roles will require experience and skills that support the PA digital, human resources, and general strategy. Specifically, Paddle Australia is seeking directors with:
- Digital and information systems management experience to provide guidance, input and understanding of:
- Assessment of relevance and opportunities offered by emerging technologies
- The review of legacy information, technology, and communications systems
- Transformational solution delivery into core business systems and processes
- Business process modelling and process engineering and reengineering
- The development and management of technology architecture
- The design of intuitive digital interfaces that meet the customer’s needs
- Transforming customer data and research into actionable insights
- Supporting and maintaining ICT systems and services
- Workforce and change management experience to provide guidance, input and understanding of:
- Organisational change management in response to a changing environment
- Human resource management, particularly as it relates to change
- The legal and compliance requirements of the employment landscape
- Workforce restructuring in response to changing operational needs
- The building of culture consistent with the vison and values of an organisation
- The effective management of a diverse and decentralised volunteer workforce
Expression of Interest
Expressions of Interest should include a resume of no more than four pages and a letter of application of one to two pages outlining the skills and experience of the candidate.
Information should be sent by email to arrive prior to 5.00 pm Eastern Standard Time on Friday 18th September 2020 and directed to the:
Chief Executive Officer
PO Box 6805, Silverwater NSW 2128
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Appointed Director via Pro Bono Australia.