About the role
About Paddle Australia
Paddle Australia (PA) is the National Sports Organisation (NSO) responsible for the management, coordination, development and promotion of paddling in Australia. PA is recognised by the Federal Government and represents the interests of its members to government and the public. PA’s vision, contained in the Strategic Plan for Paddling in Australia, is for ‘A United Paddling Community’.
PA is committed to the provision of a high standard of competition, safety and opportunity for paddling participation in Australia. This includes the development and delivery of the successful Canoe Slalom and Canoe Sprint Olympic and Paralympic programs and the five non-Olympic disciplines (Canoe Polo, Freestyle, Marathon, Ocean Racing and Wildwater), as well as recreational paddling.
PA is recognised by the International Canoe Federation (ICF); Oceania Canoe Association (OCA); Sport Australia (SA) and Australian Institute of Sport (AIS); Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) and Paralympics Australia. As the peak body for paddle related activity in Australia, PA works collaboratively with six (6) State Member Associations (SMAs), around 140 active clubs, seven (7) disciplines and approximately 8,500 members.
Operating in a commercial and inclusive manner with government, business and community, PA ensures the value of competitive and recreational paddling is understood and supported in all policy and business decisions.
The Board of Directors is responsible for the governance of PA and its strategic development and growth. Key functions are delegated to Board Committees, the CEO and senior management. The Board has final responsibility for the governance of the organisation. Our Governance Policies can be found on the PA website. Candidates may wish to review the Board Role, Function and Conduct Policy in particular.
The Key Roles of the Board of Directors include:
- Formulating and implementing goals and strategic direction;
- Determining policies relevant to the governance and performance management of the business;
- Ensuring compliance with legal requirements;
- Approving the budget and ensuring the financial viability of the organisation;
- Appointing and managing the performance of the CEO; and
- Establishing and determining the functions of Board Committees.
PA is a company limited by guarantee in accordance with Corporations Act 2001 (Cth).
To further strengthen the governance of the organisation, support the implementation of the Strategic Plan for Paddling in Australia and oversee our planned transformation, PA is seeking two new Appointed Directors. Following a recent skills analysis, background and knowledge in the following areas is being specifically sought:
- Legal and governance, preferably but not essentially within the sporting arena; and
- People, culture and change management with experience in HR.
Experience in sport governance and an understanding of the Australian sporting landscape is preferred but not essential.
In addition to the specific skills noted above, ‘Demonstrated Experience’ in one or more of the following areas is desirable:
- Interest in canoeing, kayaking, SUP or paddling generally
- Background and experience in community sport and participation
- Experience and knowledge in corporate governance
- Experience or knowledge in management, development and delivery of educational programs
- Understanding of high-performance activities related to Sport
- Experience and knowledge in commercialisation of assets and business development
- Experience and knowledge in marketing, branding and communication strategies
- Strategic expertise reviewing strategy through constructive questioning and suggestions
- Knowledge of information technology strategies
- Experience and knowledge in research techniques and consumer insights
- Experience and knowledge in human resource management
Expressions of Interest
Expressions of Interest should include a resume of no more than four pages and a letter of application of one to two pages outlining the skills and experience of the candidate:
- Relevant to the Role and Function of a Director as outlined in section 6.2 of the Board Role, Function and Conduct Policy and in the list of Key Roles of the Board of Directors above; and
- Specific to the skills in either legal and governance or people, culture and change management; and
- In the areas outlined in the list of ‘Demonstrated Experience’ above.
Information should be sent by email to arrive prior to 5.00 pm Eastern Standard Time on Sunday 18 August 2019 and directed to the:
Chief Executive Officer
PO Box 6805, Silverwater NSW 2128
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
For details concerning this role , please contact
Chief Executive Officer
Phone : (02) 9763 0670
Email : email@example.com
Please quote in application: Appointed Director via Pro Bono Australia.