About the role
Oaktree is one of Australia’s largest youth-run organisations. We are governed and guided by our Board of Directors, who bring a breadth of experience and skills from diverse professional backgrounds. The Board’s work, from setting organisational strategy through to ensuring its effective implementation, directly shapes Oaktree’s capacity for impact and future growth.
We are seeking an individual to join our Board of Directors and serve as Chair of our Development and Policy Sub-Committee.
As a member of our Board, you’ll play a key role in the governance of the organisation, serving as a custodian of Oaktree’s mission and values, and ensuring compliance and effective risk management. You’ll join an exceptional team of current Board members and have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from experts in their fields.
Are you someone who:
- Has a passion for promoting young people, justice and human rights
- Values long term solutions to end global poverty, and is committed to facilitating youth-organised change
- Prioritises diversity and inclusivity within organisations
- Strives to always work with humility and integrity
- Holds at least five years of professional experience in international development, in at least one of program design, implementation, or monitoring and evaluation
- Has experience in non-profit governance or executive management
As a member of Oaktree’s Board, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with statutory governance obligations under any relevant laws and regulations
- Organisational adherence to Oaktree’s Constitution, and alignment of strategy with its vision, mission and values
- Holding the CEO and Executive team accountable for effective implementation of the organisational strategy
- Providing the CEO and Head of International Engagement with mentorship and guidance to support their professional effectiveness and development
- Supporting Oaktree’s programs and initiatives through personal involvement, fundraising contributions and / or ambassadorship
- Consistent Board meeting attendance and timely offline engagement
The Development and Policy Sub-Committee is responsible for:
- Monitoring Oaktree’s development and policy work to ensure alignment with Oaktree’s theory of change and development philosophy
- Reviewing development strategies, policies, and partnership and project proposals, to inform recommendations to the Board
- Providing advice and guidance to the International Engagement team in the implementation of its strategic plan, including partner and project management, policy advocacy, and grant applications
- Reviewing project evaluations and annual progress reports, with a focus of the effectiveness of international program
As a youth-run organisation, one-third of our Board must be under the age of 30, and we encourage individuals under 30 to apply. We also strongly encourage women, people of colour and ability diverse candidates to apply.
- Minimum two-year term
- On average, about three to four hours a week. The Board meets six to seven times a year and sub-committees meet ~six times, in Melbourne or virtually
If this sounds like you, then head on over to apply on our current opportunities page. This is an ongoing recruitment, where applications will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis until the position is filled. With any questions, please contact the People and Culture team at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the organisation
How to apply
For details concerning this role , please contact
Please quote in application: Board Director: Chair of the Development and Policy Sub-Committee via Pro Bono Australia.