About the role
We are seeking a committed individual to join our Board of Directors as Company Secretary.
As a member of our Board, you’ll play a key role in the governance of the organisation, serving as a custodian of Oaktree’s mission and values, and ensuring compliance and effective risk management. You’ll join an exceptional team of current Board members and have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from experts in their fields.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for promoting young people, justice and human rights
- Values long term solutions to end global poverty, and is committed to facilitating youth-organised change
- Prioritises diversity and inclusivity within organisations
- Strives to always work with humility and integrity
- Understands the non-profit legal, constitutional, and regulatory environment
- Has experience in legal, non-profit Board function, governance or compliance
- Has previous experience volunteering, working or campaigning with Oaktree
As a member of Oaktree’s Board, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring organisational compliance with statutory governance obligations
- Organisational adherence to Oaktree’s Constitution, and alignment of strategy with its vision, mission and values
- Holding the CEO and Executive team accountable for delivery of our strategy
- Supporting Oaktree’s programs and initiatives through personal participation, fundraising contributions and / or ambassadorship
- Consistent Board meeting attendance and timely offline engagement
As Company Secretary, you will be responsible for:
- Working with the Chair and Deputy Chair to administer an effective Board
- Managing the retention of Board documents and records, including the Board meeting records archive and member register
- Assuring the timely lodgement of statutory reporting, including annual accounts, annual information statements, and change in director notices
- Supporting the organisation of Board meetings, including scheduling, coordination, giving notice, managing election processes, and taking minutes
- Ensuring that Board Directors are aware of and supported to fulfil their duties
- When required, leading Board Director recruitment processes
- Supporting the Risk and Compliance Sub-Committee Chair to induct new Board Directors and coordinate Director training, learning and development
As a youth-run organisation, one-third of our Board must be under the age of 30, and we encourage individuals under 30 to apply. We also strongly encourage women, people of colour and ability diverse candidates to apply.
- Minimum two-year term
- On average, about three to four hours a week. The Board meets six times a year, in Melbourne or virtually
If this sounds like you, then head on over to apply on our current opportunities page. This is an ongoing recruitment, where applications will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis until the position is filled. With any questions, please contact the People and Culture team at email@example.com
APPLY HERE: https://form.typeform.com/to/FGaYalO0
About the organisation
Oaktree is one of Australia’s largest youth-run organisations. We are governed and guided by our Board of Directors, who bring a breadth of experience and skills from diverse professional backgrounds. The Board’s work, from setting organisational strategy through to ensuring its effective implementation, directly shapes Oaktree’s capacity for impact and future growth.