About the role
Oaktree is one of Australia’s largest youth-run organisations. We are governed and guided by our Board of Directors, who bring a breadth of experience and skills from diverse professional backgrounds. The Board’s work, from setting organisational strategy through to ensuring its effective implementation, directly shapes Oaktree’s capacity for impact and future growth.
We are seeking an individual with professional experience as a senior leader in human resources – engaging employees and volunteers, managing conflict, change and performance, and shaping organisational culture.
As a member of our Board, you’ll play a key role in the governance of the organisation, serving as a custodian of Oaktree’s mission and values, and ensuring compliance and effective risk management. You’ll join an exceptional team of current Board members and have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from experts in their fields.
Are you someone who:
- Has a passion for promoting young people, justice and human rights
- Values long term solutions to end global poverty, and is committed to facilitating youth-organised change
- Holds at least five years of professional experience in human resources, preferably in the non-profit sector
- Prioritises diversity and inclusivity within organisations
- Strives to always work with humility and integrity
- Has experience in non-profit governance or executive management
As a member of Oaktree’s Board, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with statutory governance obligations under any relevant laws and regulations
- Organisational adherence to Oaktree’s Constitution, and alignment of strategy with its vision, mission and values
- Holding the CEO and Executive team accountable for effective implementation of the organisational strategy
- Providing the CEO with mentorship and guidance to support their professional effectiveness and development
- Supporting Oaktree’s programs and initiatives through personal involvement, fundraising contributions and / or ambassadorship
- Consistent Board meeting attendance and timely offline engagement
As a youth-run organisation, one-third of our Board must be under the age of 30, and we encourage individuals under 30 to apply. We also strongly encourage women, people of colour and ability diverse candidates to apply.
- Minimum two-year term
- On average, about three to four hours a week. The Board meets six to seven times a year and sub-committees meet ~six times, in Melbourne or virtually
If this sounds like you, then head to https://form.typeform.com/to/QwjyoDrz to apply.
This is an ongoing recruitment, where applications will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis until the position is filled.
With any questions, please contact the People and Culture team at email@example.com
About the organisation
Oaktree is young people leading a movement to end extreme poverty. Extreme poverty has already been halved and together we can end it.
How to apply
Please apply via the typeform link as provided or via the Oaktree website.
Please quote in application: Board Director - HR via Pro Bono Australia.