About the role
Oaktree is one of Australia’s largest youth-run organisations. We are governed and guided by our Board of Directors, who bring a breadth of experience and skills from diverse professional backgrounds. The Board’s work, from setting organisational strategy through to ensuring its effective implementation, directly shapes Oaktree’s capacity for impact and future growth.
We are seeking an individual to join our Board of Directors and serve as Chair of our Finance Sub-Committee.
As a member of our Board, you’ll play a key role in the governance of the organisation, serving as a custodian of Oaktree’s mission and values, and ensuring compliance and effective risk management. You’ll join an exceptional team of current Board members, and have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from experts in their fields.
Are you someone who:
- Has a passion for promoting young people, justice and human rights
- Values long term solutions to end global poverty, and is committed to facilitating youth-organised change
- Prioritises diversity and inclusivity within organisations
- Strives to always work with humility and integrity
- Holds at least five years professional experience in financial management (including budgeting, forecasting, reporting and auditing) and a CPA or CA
- Has experience in non-profit governance or executive management
As a member of Oaktree’s Board, you will be responsible for:
- Ensuring compliance with statutory governance obligations under any relevant laws and regulations
- Organisational adherence to Oaktree’s Constitution, and alignment of strategy with its vision, mission and values
- Holding the CEO and Executive team accountable for effective implementation of the organisational strategy
- Providing the CEO with support, guidance and feedback to ensure their professional effectiveness and development
- Supporting Oaktree’s programs and initiatives through personal involvement, fundraising contributions and / or ambassadorship
- Consistent Board meeting attendance and timely offline engagement
The Finance Sub-Committee is responsible for:
- Overseeing compliance with statutory, regulatory, and professional reporting obligations
- Ensuring effectiveness of financial and investment policies, auditing, and financial risk management
- Overseeing Oaktree’s Future Fund investment portfolio
- Monitoring the setting of budgets, and the management of income, expenditure, cash flow and assets for alignment with strategy and policy
As a youth-run organisation, one third of our Board must be under the age of 27, and we encourage individuals under 27 to apply.
- Two year term
- On average, about three to four hours a week. The Board meets six to seven times a year and sub-committees meet ~six times, in Melbourne or virtually
If this sounds like you, then head on over to apply, before 5PM (17:00) Sunday 17 November 2019. And for questions, please contact Lumi Tran at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Board Member: Chair of Finance Sub Committee via Pro Bono Australia.