About the role
Board members contribute to major strategic decisions of the organisation, whilst also participating in good governance activities and ensuring robust risk-management and financial management of the organisation are maintained. The Treasurer also oversees management of the Board Finance Sub Committee and reports organisation finances to the Board.
Who are we looking for?
- Preferably board members living in the western region of Melbourne or have strong demonstrated links to the area.
- The board is committed to representing the views, insights and connections of our diverse community. Young people (under 30 years old) are strongly encouraged to apply. Women, LGTBQI, Indigenous and culturally and linguistically diverse community leaders are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Individuals willing to commit to attend regular meetings and contribute where needed.
- Understanding of youth, education, training and employment policy will be highly regarded.
Desirable attributes and skills:
- Personal or professional connection to the Western region of Melbourne.
- Understanding of or willingness to learn about the challenges faced by young people in Melbourne’s west.
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to work online.
- Holistic problem-solving skills and strategic thinking.
- Diplomacy and excellent presentation skills with an ability and willingness to represent YouthNow publicly.
- High level of personal and professional integrity and honesty.
- Have (or be willing to learn) board governance and financial literacy.
- Work in a volunteer capacity
*The treasurer role requires additional skills:
- High level of financial literacy and accounting skills and experience are preferable
About the organisation
YouthNow is a dynamic social change agency dedicated to co-designing effective training and employment services for young people in Melbourne's west. YouthNow's purpose is to work with young people in Melbourne’s west to build their skills for a bright future. We provide holistic training and employment services to allow young people to access high quality support in their community, and build life skills to improve their learning and working lives.
The YouthNow Board has proudly steered YouthNow to achieve major milestones for young people in Melbourne’s west since inception in 1997.
At a time of unprecedented change and need, we require local committed individuals who can bring their unique skills and insights to the organisation. We are about to embark on a Strategic Planning process which would be an excellent learning opportunity for people with the right motivation.
How to apply
Email CEO@youthnow.org.au with a written expression of interest, giving a brief statement of why you think you would make a great Board member, and please include your current resume.
The Chair (Stephen: 0406960042) and CEO (Colleen: 0400865103) are available to chat and answer questions at any time.
Please quote in application: Board Members and Treasurer via Pro Bono Australia.