About the role
Detour House Inc is recruiting new management committee members. We are looking for strategic and innovative women with a strong commitment to social justice – especially the empowerment of women.
About the organisation
Detour House Inc provides accommodation and care to women and girls in the heart of Sydney through two services – Detour House and The Girls Refuge. Both services are operated by experienced staff and overseen by a management committee of professional women from the local business and health communities.
Detour House and The Girls Refuge are funded by the Department of Communities and Justice (formerly Family and Community Services) as Specialist Homelessness Services to provide people in crisis with safe and secure accommodation and housing. Both services are overseen by a capable General Manager.
Detour House has been operating since 1984 and offers a 15-month rehabilitation program to up to seven women at a time who are dealing with drug and/or alcohol dependency. The program includes three months in-house and a following period in independent living with ongoing case management.
The Girls Refuge has been operating since 1975 and provides support and a three month stay in a safe, home-like environment for up to eight girls aged 13-17 who are experiencing homelessness or risk of homelessness. The Girls Refuge also provides outreach case management to young women at risk of homelessness.
Every woman and girl has the potential to live a fulfilling, productive life. We help turn lives around for women and girls seeking support to overcome trauma, homelessness and adversity.
Visit http://www.detourhouse.org.au/about to download a copy of our strategic plan.
Responsibilities as a member of the Management Committee will include (but not be limited to):
• Providing effective and sound governance
• Providing strategic direction and identifying organisational growth opportunities
• Ensuring the organisation meets all performance, risk and compliance requirements and obligations
• Promoting and enhancing the reputation of the organisation
• Representing the organisation as spokesperson
• Acting honestly and in good faith at all times and in the interests of the organisation.
Meetings are held every 4-6 weeks on a week night between 6pm and 9pm in the Inner West. You may also be required to attend other subcommittee meetings and ad hoc meetings as needed.
The position is an unpaid voluntary board appointment. Governance training and facilitation for strategic planning will be provided.
An up-to-date Working with Children Check is essential.
Detour House Inc has an Equal Opportunity Exemption and requests applications from women only.
Detour House Inc is seeking three new management committee members with a strong commitment to social justice – especially the empowerment of women. To be considered for this opportunity:
• You should be a confident and articulate communicator with the ability to liaise collaboratively with members of the Committee.
• You are a strategic and innovative thinker who demonstrates experience in corporate governance.
• Ideally, you will have demonstrated experience with generating additional funds to allow for growth and innovation.
Duration of appointment
While there is no minimum term stipulated, we anticipate a 1-3 year term.
The position is an unpaid voluntary board appointment.
How to apply
Please send your CV and cover letter to Olivia Nguy, General Manager, email@example.com
For enquiries, please contact Cate Hewett, Chairperson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sunday 3 November 2019
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Board Members - Detour House Inc (Sydney) via Pro Bono Australia.