About the role
Are you passionate about welcoming and assisting migrants and refugees into our community? Would you like to contribute to the governance of a reputed organisation with your knowledge and skills?
SMRC is looking for one new co-opted members to join its Board. SMRC is incorporated under Association Incorporation Reforms Act 2012 for the broad purpose to facilitate the planning and co-ordination of services for newly arrived and established migrant, refugee and asylum seeker communities
Annual Budget: over $7.0M
Current Board Size: 10-14
Board Meetings (frequency): Monthly
Board Meetings Held: After hours on a week night in Dandenong (Meetings last 2hrs generally)
Committee Meetings: Monthly (Meetings last 2hrs generally)
Committee Meetings Held: Either during Office Hours or after hours on a week night in Dandenong
About the vacant positions:
To strengthen the skills and knowledge base of the existing board, SMRC is calling for Director applications in a parallel recruitment process for the following positions:
- Appointment of one independent Directors for a period of 2 years with ICT experience.
- Appointment of Sub Committee Members for a period of 2 years with financial expertise.
Interested SMRC members and non-members with directorship experience in the not for profit sector are encouraged to apply.
Member and non-member applications will be evaluated and short listed by the Selection Committee, which will then make recommendations to the SMRC Board who will make the final decision to appoint the new board members to be announced at the AGM proposed to be held on 28th November 2019.
SMRC aims to achieve a balanced Board with a diverse range of skills and attributes so applications will be considered within the context of the current SMRC Board skills matrix. SMRC Board is keen to appoint skilled and experienced professionals on the committees of the board to assist in strengthening its role and functioning.
The Role of the SMRC Board
SMRC Directors are volunteers and are responsible for the successful implementation of the SMRC’s Strategic vision and objectives with reference to the SMRC value proposition which equips clients will knowledge and skills, supports them in their journeys, connects them with other communities, celebrates diversity and advocates with and on behalf of clients and communities.
The SMRC Board is also responsible for the good governance of the organisation including financial accountability, legal compliance, risk management and privacy obligations. It meets quarterly, and Directors are expected to prepare for and actively participate in meetings and to contribute to Committees as required.
The Role of Committees of the SMRC Board
SMRC Board is supported by the following committees:
Policy and Research Committee
Finance, Audit and Risk Management Committee
Applications will be assessed using the following merit criteria:
- Professional Skills/ Area of Expertise Being Sought: Corporate Governance, Risk Management, Human Resource Management, Fund Raising, Aged Care, NDIS, Information and Communication Technologies and Marketing & Communications.
- Industry Knowledge: Not for profit, community sector.
- Personal Attributes: Leadership, commitment of time and energy, inter-personal and collaborative skills, common sense and sound judgement, decision making skills, integrity and capacity for visionary thinking.
How to apply?
Please email your application to CEO, Ramesh Kumar on email@example.com by Monday 2nd September 2019. The subject line must read ‘SMRC Board Application’ and files attached must be less than 2Mb.
All applications submitted must include the following:
- A brief cover letter;
- A maximum two-page CV; and
- A brief description of the contribution you can make as a Director or Board Committee member, making reference to the skills, knowledge and experience you will bring to the SMRC Board. (1000-word limit).
Roles: General Board Member and Board Committee Member
Payment: Nil – honorary role
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : (03) 9767 1910
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Board of Directors and Committee Members via Pro Bono Australia.