About the role
- Location: Anywhere in Australia
- Your commitment: 5 hours per month
- Reports to: Board Chair
This is an identified position for those who identify as First Nations, Black or a person of colour. People from a diverse range of genders, cultures, abilities and experiences are actively encouraged to apply. We strongly encourage applications from women, gender diverse, and queer people of colour.
Democracy in Colour is building the power of people of colour to organise around the issues that affect us most. For migration with dignity, for great public and community services, and for diverse and accurate journalism. We are led by and for people of colour (multicultural or non-white people).
The Board is responsible for Democracy in Colour’s overall performance and compliance. As a Board Director, you’ll play an important role overseeing our strategy, governance, finances, legal compliance and risk.
As Treasurer of the Board you will have additional, specific leadership responsibilities in relation to our financial management and performance, including reviewing and assessing:
- annual budgets and financial forecasts
- steps taken to protect the organisation’s overall financial position, manage cash-flow, and meet its debts as and when they fall due
- the adequacy and appropriateness of adopted accounting policies
- the organisation’s financial sustainability and efficiency (particularly taking into account non-profit status)
- the independence and performance of internal and external audit processes
- leading the finance committee, when established
- Grasp of financial strategy
- Bookkeeping, financial management and budget forecasting experience
- Good organisational skills
- This role requires qualifications in accounting, book-keeping and / or statutory reporting.
Before applying for this role, please read the detailed Position Description attached – it provides more information about the organisation, the role, and who we’re looking for.
At Democracy in Colour, we are building a society that honours the dignity and humanity of all people. Join us.
About the organisation
Democracy in Colour is building the power of people of colour to organise around the issues that affect us most. For migration with dignity, for great public and community services, and for diverse and accurate journalism. We are led by and for people of colour.
How to apply
Please submit your application addressed to Anita Tang, Board Chair including:
- Your resume (no more than 2 pages)
- A cover letter (no more than 1 page) outlining why you would like to take on this role
Based on your experience, you may be invited to a follow-up conversation with the Chair of the board and National Director/s.
Democracy in Colour seeks to make this selection process as accessible as possible. We want to know about your skills in finance and your values and experience.
Please quote in application: Board Treasurer - Flexible location via Pro Bono Australia.