About the role
Cultivating Community is a not for profit organisation working toward an equitable food system that sustains the health and diversity of our communities and our environment. Our passion for creating a better food future involves activities spanning food systems advocacy and support, urban agriculture, community food centres, school food gardens, food waste management and environmental education. Our mission is to work with diverse and low-income communities to create fair, secure and resilient food systems.
School Food Gardens
Our long running School Food Gardens Program aims to teach primary school kids how to grow food, reduce food waste and act sustainably both at school and at home. Through our dedicated School Garden Educators, we facilitate weekly hands on learning opportunities for students to understand how to care for the garden while being introduced to the importance of related concepts such as nutrition, health, food safety, biodiversity, sustainability, energy and water cycles.
About the Volunteer Position
Working under the direction of the School Food Garden Educator, the primary focus of the role is to assist in the delivery of the weekly School Food Garden Program at Broadmeadows Valley Primary School.
This year the school’s focus is on junior years, so people who enjoy working with young children will be best suited. However, garden maintenance roles are available and will suit people who are skilled in gardening but prefer to work without children.
The role would include:
- Assisting the Garden Educator in garden maintenance and development including fostering a productive food garden
- Maintaining safe garden practices and promptly informing the School Food Garden Educator of any potential breaches of safety
- Working with small groups of students in garden based activities
- Assisting the School Food Garden Educator with events and workshops
- Other tasks and duties as required.
- There is also room for someone with an interest in food preparation
Send us your cover letter and CV. Apply as soon as possible.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 03 9429 3084
Please quote in application: Broadmeadows Valley Primary School Volunteer Assistant via Pro Bono Australia.