About the role
We’re building a connected, skilled, diverse and vibrant grassroots network that will stand in solidarity with the women we work with around the world. Together we can take action to address the root causes of poverty and injustice through our campaign to secure decent working conditions for women in the garment sector.
We want you to be a part of it!
We’re recruiting leaders from across Canberra to come together at a one-day training on Saturday 19th June 2021 to discuss and strategise on how we stand in solidarity with women garment workers fighting for their rights in the Global South.
As a Community Leader you will lead and establish a community of volunteers that will campaign locally on international women’s rights issues. You’ll be trained in campaigning, community organising and ActionAid’s Human Rights Based Approach.
- Be available on Saturday 19th June 2021 be part of a one-day training and planning session.
- A demonstrated commitment and passion for women’s rights.
- The ability to commit to supporting ActionAid projects in your community for at least 3 hours a week, for a minimum of 6 months.
- The ability to support the movement remotely, with a computer, mobile phone and access to the internet.
- A commitment to our values: Mutual respect; Equity and justice; Solidarity; Honesty and transparency; Humility; Courage of conviction and Independence.
- Respect for ActionAid’s independence and an ability to work within this ethos.
- Passion for social justice and the role that everyday people can play to achieve a fairer and more equitable world.
WHAT WE WILL PROVIDE:
- Training in community organising, campaign strategy and ActionAid’s Human Rights based approach.
- A connection with an international movement of supporters who believe in women’s rights and social justice.
- A chance to be part of building ActionAid Australia’s presence and grassroots network from the very outset.
- The knowledge that you’re contributing to a fairer and more equitable world.
About the organisation
ActionAid Australia is a global women’s right organisation, working to advance the rights of women living in poverty in communities in 45 countries around the world. We work on issues such as climate justice, economic justice and women’s rights in emergencies.
How to apply
Please fill out this form here to register for a spot at the training - https://actionnetwork.org/events/decent-work-training-canberra-group/
Be sure to register as spots are limited! We will contact you within a week.
Please quote in application: Canberra Community Leader (voluntary) via Pro Bono Australia.