About the role
The Competition Committee has a key role in making recommendations to the Board regarding governance and policy around competition paddling in Australia. The Committee held its inaugural meeting in April 2019.
PA is seeking Expressions of Interest for the role of Chair, Paddle Australia Competition Committee.
Key Responsibilities and Selection Criteria
Papers for the consideration of the Committee will be drafted by the PA executive. The Chair will be required to assist in this preparation of documents in the lead up to meetings and to settle these documents. This includes ensuring that the agenda for any meeting is manageable within the allocated time for the meeting and ensuring that Committee members are supplied with all documentation required for them to be able to discuss and assess agenda items.
The Chair will determine whether to invite additional people to any meeting, if required to assist in any of the discussions included within the agenda. This includes, but is not limited to, PA staff.
Within meetings, the Chair will be required to:
- Manage any conflicts of interest in accordance with PA policy;
- Ensure that all members of the Committee are afforded an opportunity to be heard;
- Ensure that the interests of the sport, as described under the SPPA, are referenced with Committee discussions;
- Ensure that meetings are held in a timely and efficient manner, and in accordance with the agenda;
- Ensure that all members are treated with respect at all times;
- Limit discussions of the Committee to matters described within the Terms of Reference;
- Confirm the arrangements for any additional meetings of the Committee, outside of the biannual face to face meetings;
- Represent the Values and Culture of Paddle Australia; and
- Ensure that minutes accurately reflect discussions held, further actions, and recommendations to go to the Board.
Minutes of Committee meetings, including recommendations for the consideration of the Board, will be drafted by the PA executive. The Chair will be required to review and settle these minutes, including any recommendations.
The Chair is also responsible for making recommendations to the Board as to the future conduct of the Committee, if required.
‘Demonstrated Experience’ in the following areas is required:
- Chairing meetings of committees or advisory groups similar to the Committee;
- Reporting to Boards;
- An understanding of sporting organisations in Australia; and
- An understanding of the management of sporting organisations.
‘Demonstrated Experience’ in one or more of the following areas is desirable:
- Interest in canoeing, kayaking, SUP or paddling generally;
- Experience working in the sports/NFP sector, in particular within an NSO or SSO;
- Event management, in particular within sport;
- Experience within high performance sport, in particular in the context of a sport which receives funding via Sport Australia/AIS;
- Background and experience in community sport and participation;
- Managing volunteers;
- Working with diverse stakeholder groups; or
- Experience and knowledge in corporate governance.
Expressions of Interest
Expressions of Interest should include a resume of no more than four pages and a letter of application of one to two pages outlining the skills and experience of the candidate:
- Relevant to the Terms of Reference of the Competition Committee; and
- In the areas outlined in the ‘Key Responsibilities and Selection Criteria’ section, above.
Information should be sent by email to arrive prior to 5.00 pm Eastern Standard Time on Monday 16th September 2019 and directed to the:
Chief Operating Officer
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Chair of the Paddle Australia Competition Committee via Pro Bono Australia.