About the role
Neighbourhood Connect is a national not-for-profit organisation. We help people turn streets into communities and foster a national network of neighbour groups. We make it easy for people to get to know those who live near them and feel more connected, safer, and supported.
We have neighbour groups and a project team spanning all States and Territories. Everyone involved is passionate about creating and supporting communities. The project is unfunded; we are all contributing voluntarily.
You can check it out at www.neighbourhoodconnect.org.au
We are looking for people of all descriptions, anywhere in Australia, who are:
- Interested in connecting with your neighbours and building a sense of community, within the guidelines of your State concerning physically distancing and health;
- Welcoming and friendly to all types of people; and
- Able to plan and organise.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic changing our lives in many ways, physical distancing does not mean we have to disconnect from others. As a Community Connector, you invite your neighbours to connect with one another and do activities that develop a sense of community and help one another. You will:
- Invite your neighbours to connect and be part of a neighbour group in your neighbourhood, bearing in mind physical distance guidelines (we can give you more guidance on this when you come on board);
- Encourage discussion (in-person, via email, Facebook or video meetings) to uncover common interests and potential activities that neighbours would like to do together;
- Ask others to join you in sharing the role of Community Connector – it’s more enjoyable done as a small team;
- Facilitate contact between neighbours;
- Connect by phone, get-togethers via video, and in-person where possible;
- Offer support and start to get to know each other so that physical isolation doesn’t create social isolation and loneliness;
- Connect with Neighbourhood Connect and be part of a network of neighbourhood groups around Australia;
- Take photos and video of activities to share with Neighbourhood Connect for our social media (with permission); and
- Participate and encourage your group to participate in evaluating the project to answer the question, ‘What difference has this made?’.
What Help Will We Give You?
You’ll have lots of support to make this work for you in your area, including:
- Help and advice from a member of the Project Team via webinar, phone and email;
- A Kit from our website giving you lots of ‘how-to’ information such as how to contact your neighbours and how to discuss what you might do together;
- Example invitations and other useful tools;
- Lots of examples of inspiring community groups and what they’ve done;
- 80 ideas of what a Neighbourhood Connect group could do;
- An email group for sharing and learning for Community C.
What Are the Benefits For You?
- You will be making a difference in your neighbourhood and will gain a greater sense of community and belonging;
- A community where neighbours are willing to give each other a helping hand;
- The satisfaction of being helpful to your neighbours, sharing your skills, and making a positive difference in their lives;
- Getting to know more people in your neighbourhood expands your circle and may lead to new friends;
- Community development experience. This is particularly useful if you work, or want to work in community services;
- Event management and facilitation experience;
- Being part of a network of Community Connectors – sharing and learning;
- Being part of a national project and seeing it grow and develop; and
- A greater sense of wellbeing, purpose, and satisfaction in your life.
Take the Next Step
To get the ball rolling in your area, send an email to Irene Opper, National Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Why this interests you;
- Any experience you’ve had with community groups or organising gatherings (desirable, but not essential); and
- Which suburb or town and which state you live in and your contact details.
If you have any questions, please call Irene on 0413 706 233.
Please note that this is a role that a person takes on as a neighbour, not as a volunteer of Neighbourhood Connect.
About the organisation
How to apply
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0413706233
Please quote in application: Community Connector via Pro Bono Australia.