About the Role
In 2017, the Mission to Seafarers celebrated 100 years of service in the heritage-listed building at 717 Flinders Street, Docklands. Serving a special place in the life and community of those who live and work at sea, the dedicated team of staff and volunteers provide comfort, a friendly face and a sense of community to the thousands of seafarers who visit the Port of Melbourne annually.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Welcome seafarers to the Flying Angel Club
- Change foreign currency and sell phone-cards and souvenirs to seafarers
- Liaise with security at the docks and MTSV drivers to confirm pick-up times for seafarers
- Chat with seafarers and answer any inquiries about shopping and tourism
- Serve drinks in the bar, including coffee (from an automatic coffee machine)
- Listen to the seafarers’ needs and concerns and, if appropriate, refer them to a member of staff
- Maintain stock levels of all items
- Assist with any events and functions and other duties as required (such as light cleaning)
Skills and Experience
- Pleasant manner and well-developed people skills
Comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds and different countries
- Quick thinking and good time management
Ability to work autonomously or in a team environment
Willingness to provide assistance to staff as required
- Healthy appreciation of volunteering and willingness to work within the ethos of the Mission to Seafarers
- Experience in hospitality, retail or similar service industry desirable, but not essential
Successful volunteers will receive training specific to the role, a Volunteer Information booklet and ongoing support and mentoring.
We ideally need volunteers who are able to start as soon as possible and while we understand that all volunteers have many different obligations, a minimum commitment of four hours per week is required for this role.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : (03) 9629 7083
Please quote in application: Flying Angel Club Hosts via Pro Bono Australia.