About the Role
Scarf is about to turn seven, and we’re looking for passionate, experienced and committed leaders to grow our board of directors and lead the organisation into the future. This is a great opportunity to contribute to an innovative not-for-profit which makes a real difference to the lives of young people facing barriers to work.
We’re a social enterprise which gets young people into jobs while adding flavour and heart to the hospitality industry. Scarf trainees are young people seeking protection and those from refugee and migrant backgrounds who face barriers to work. We partner with Melbourne’s best restaurants to run ‘Scarf Dinners’, where our trainees gain paid work experience while being supported by experienced hospitality mentors. Scarf events attract a loyal, big-hearted dining community and together we break down employment barriers, increase pathways into meaningful work and foster a more cohesive society.
With one-on-one support from mentors, Scarf trainees grow their skills, knowledge, confidence and networks – all key to increasing employability – and 70% of trainees find work within six months of graduating. We run two annual fundraising and awareness-building initiatives, ‘Do More Than Drink’ and ‘Do More Than Dine’, that showcase the benefits of hiring people from diverse backgrounds, whilst providing work experience opportunities and raising funds to support program costs. We were proud finalists in the Innovation Category at the 2016 National Social Enterprise Awards and our 150th trainee recently graduated from Scarf – a proud milestone.
Board Member Experience
We are seeking one or two General Board Members with experience in one or more of the following areas:
– Working or volunteering with people seeking protection or those from a refugee/migrant background
– Working or volunteering with marginalised people to find employment
– Holding a position on a not-for-profit board
– Managing finances in a charity or not-for-profit setting
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
– The Scarf Board provides leadership, governance and oversight to the organisation
– The Scarf Board must ensure Scarf meets all legal and financial obligations
– The Scarf Board is responsible for developing and overseeing strategic direction and activities; and working with other board members and management to foster sustainability
– Scarf Board members must positively represent Scarf to stakeholders and the wider community, and act as an ambassador for the organisation
Board Structure and Time Commitment
Currently, the Scarf board has four members, and we meet approximately once every two months. Board meetings generally take place on Tuesday evenings in Thornbury.
Board members may also be asked to attend additional meetings as necessary. It is expected that board members dine regularly at Scarf Dinners and appreciated if they also attend fundraising events such as ‘Do More Than Dine’.
Please send a CV and cover letter outlining your relevant experience and how you hope to contribute to Scarf through membership of the board, to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information please contact Hannah Colman, Co-founder and General Manager, at email@example.com or on 0488 772 911.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply, as are people from diverse ethnic/cultural backgrounds.
Applications close Monday 28 August 2017.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0488772911
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: General Board Member (Volunteer) via Pro Bono Australia.