About the Role
About Climate for Change Inc.
Climate for Change Inc. (C4C) is a fast-growing not-for-profit. Four years old, we are gaining the attention and respect of others in our sector for our innovative approach to engaging new audiences and our ability to achieve results usually only achieved on much larger budgets. We are volunteer-driven with a growing core staff. We are passionate, dynamic, resourceful, hopeful and giving. We’re looking for up to three people who share our vision and values and who have the commitment, time, skills, networks and passion to help us make a meaningful impact. For more information, please see our website: www.climateforchange.org.au. The rules of the organisation are available here.
What We Do
C4C seeks to create the social climate in which Australia’s leaders can and will do what it takes to keep global warming well below two degrees and ultimately bring it back down below one degree as quickly and safely as possible. We do this by supporting people who are already committed to the changes we need to have more effective conversations about climate change with people around them to build greater support for those changes. Our flagship program uses the “Tupperware Party model” to engage new audiences – a model which allows for both deep engagement and exponential growth.
About the board
The board works closely with to CEO to support and provide governance to the organisation to enable it to realise its mission. As the highest leadership body of the organisation and to satisfy its fiduciary duties, the board is responsible for:
- Reviewing and amending the governing Rules to meet changing needs of C4C
- Selecting and evaluating the performance of the chief executive
- Developing C4C’s existing strategy into short and long term strategic plans with concrete organisational goals
- Ensuring strong fiduciary oversight and financial management, including approving C4C’s budget and preparing financial statements
- Fundraising and resource development
- Approving and monitoring the organisation’s programs and services
- Enhancing the organisation’s public image
- Stakeholder and donor engagement, and
- Assessing its own performance as the governing body of the organisation.
According to our rules, Board members are required to be financial members of C4C – membership fees are $48pa (full) and $24pa (concession).
C4C currently has vacancy for up to 3 Board Member/s including a Secretary to commence with the organisation (following acceptance of their nomination at the 2018 AGM) in November 2018. Board terms are voluntary for two years, with half the board up for re-election each year. Members must be prepared to commit approximately 8-10 hours per month as required. Each individual Board Member is expected to:
- Attend Board meetings (currently 10 p.a.), general meetings and important events
- Do all reading preparation for these meetings (on average one hour per meeting)
- Attend longer strategy sessions (up to 4 days p.a.)
- Know the organisation’s mission, policies, programs and needs
- Faithfully read and understand the organisation’s financial statements
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organisation
- Actively help identify and/or secure financial resources and partnerships necessary for the organisation to advance its mission
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve the organisation’s mission, including fundraising
- Develop policies, set up appropriate governance structures/systems and provide strategic guidance, and
- Participate in at least one working group or sub-committee, as needed.
Key Selection Criteria
The board aims to meet all of the following criteria between all its members:
- Not-for-profit governance experience
- Financial / Accounting knowledge
- Not for profit law experience
- Fundraising expertise or experience
- Proven skills and aptitude for strategy / risk / governance, and
- Strategic understanding of the climate movement.
In addition, each board member will be selected on their ability to meet these criteria:
- Time and commitment
- Profile and networks useful to the development and growth of C4C, including fundraising
- Passion for C4C’s work
- Previous board experience (preferred but not essential)
How to apply for this position
To express your interest: Please complete the application form here by midnight Wednesday 17th October, 2018. Although C4C is a Melbourne-based organisation, we will consider applicants from around Australia (interstate Board Members would call into meetings via video-linking). If you have any questions about this position or the application process, please email Kartik: email@example.com using the subject line: Governing Board Member (voluntary) enquiry via Probono.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Please quote in application: Governing Board Members x3 (voluntary) via Pro Bono Australia.