About the role
Fantastic opportunity for an adventurous accountant looking to gain international experience, work with inspiring colleagues and volunteer for an NGO helping communities to benefit from natural resources in Liberia.
Accounting for International Development offers every type of accountant, from anywhere in the world, the opportunity to use their skills to support a broad range of non-profit organisations globally. Volunteer Accounting Assignments of between 2 weeks and 6 months form part of our ongoing strategy to build the financial management capacity of charities in over 50 countries. Click APPLY for more…
Our partner has been influential in transforming how natural resources are managed, and benefits from these are shared with local communities in Liberia. They are seeking an experienced and dynamic pro bono accountant to support them in building and strengthening their control environment, developing financial management tools, and building the capacity of the finance team.
Your role will be to:
- Review the level of progress, including a review of the control environment, accounting & financial management processes, and understanding and adherence to recommendations and tools he introduced.
- Ensure on the control side that they are easily able to collect supporting documents from the field, so an assessment of this plus support in devising strategies to collect supporting documents & meet requirements, would be appreciated.
- Review their finance & HR manual. They feel this is out of date, and would really benefit from developing detailed HR guidelines, including a staff evaluation system.
- Review the responsibilities of the finance staff. Ideally, they would like the new Finance Manager to have more of an oversight role on the day to day finance, and to be responsible for the management accounts & reporting (both internally and to donors). They are consistently late in reporting to donors, and want to ensure that processes are streamlined and responsibilities properly allocated so they are able to meet their reporting deadlines. They would also like to see whether they do need a formal HR Officer, or whether staff within the administration team can absorb the responsibilities.
- Develop financial management tools, including an organisational budget, management accounting & reporting tools, and train staff in their use.
- Offer further training to all staff Quickbooks and support them in making the most of the software.
Please note that progress was slow, as a result of the flat structure; there was not always an ownership of tasks and an urgency to make changes. Whilst the structure is being changed, this placement will require patience and especially at the initial stages gaining trust and cultivating positive working relationships with the staff.
Accommodation & visa provided.
*Need a fresh challenge… to do something worthwhile?
*Keen to volunteer & share your skills & experience?
If that’s a YES (x3) , please click to ‘APPLY’ and see other similar volunteering opportunities overseas.
We are confident you’ll encounter a variety of new and exciting challenges, share new experiences with inspiring people and learn skills that will give you confidence to face challenges in other areas of your life. You’ll be inspired and get back so much more than you give!
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: LIBERIA | Finance Volunteer @ NGO Managing Natural Resources via Pro Bono Australia.