About the role
We are seeking 2 x applications from those who share our vision, values and with either of the following skills and experiences to join our committee of management:
Finance or accounting
Strong connections in the philanthropic sector
Campaigning or organising experience within the LGBTIQ+ community, or similar.
Legal, compliance and governance
Strategic communications, fundraising and supporter engagement
The management committee works closely with the Co-convenors and plays a key role in the governance of the organisation, ensuring the mission and values are progressed while ensuring compliance with relevant statutory laws.
All Management Committee Members must have, or be working towards gaining, an understanding of the governance principles and obligations of a charity.
Please reach out to us if you have an area of expertise that is not listed that you believe may add value to the lobby at this time.
Key Selection Criteria of Board Directors
Lobby management commitee members are expected to:
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the mission and values of the lobby;
- Provide evidence of knowledge of not-for-profit governance principles and demonstrate a commitment to working according to these principles;
- Demonstrate experience in strategic planning that may come from business, management experience or not-for-profit organisations;
- Lead a culture of collaboration, transparency and collegiality where peers and organisational staff/volunteers feel engaged and respected;
- Give a minimum of one month’s notice in the event of resignation;
Time Commitment, term and expenses
Be available for Board duties, including:
- 1 x planning days per year for purposes such as: strategic planning, operational planning, and board evaluation;
- Participate in virtual bi-monthly Board meetings, each no longer than 1.5 hours;
- Ability to effectively serve on at least one committee as required (subcommittees include: governance, finance, fundraising, policy.);
- A comprehensive induction will be provided which will require additional time commitment in the first 1-2 months;
We ask that all members commit to an availability of at least 4-8 hours per month for their Board duties with all meetings taking place virtually.
The initial term of appointment will be for 2 years. Led by the co-convenors, the board will contribute to ongoing self-evaluation.
This is a volunteer position. All pre-approved expenses will be reimbursed.
We strongly believe that having a commitee that reflects the diversity of the community and the team leads to better decision making. This is why we strongly encourage applications from women, trans, intersex identified people, including First Nation’s people, people from multicultural, migrant and refugee backgrounds and those with a disability.
About the organisation
The NSW Gay & Lesbian Rights Lobby (GLRL) advocates for the equality of lesbians, gay men and their families. We are run primarily by volunteers, and rely heavily on donations from generous individuals in the community.
We lobby politicians, government departments, policy makers and the media to redress discrimination.
We also advocate for community leadership to ensure social equality is achieved - not just legislative equality.
We represent the gay and lesbian community at the local, state and national level through statewide consultations. We work closely with bisexual, transgender and intersex organisations, and all Members of Parliament to advance the rights of our communities in NSW.
We educate the gay and lesbian community on how to activate their rights. We provide information to the community, media and individuals on gay and lesbian rights and areas of discrimination. We refer clients to legal and welfare services and direct them to ways to enforce their rights.
We empower the community to take action in the push for equality. The GLRL runs volunteer working groups which organise campaigns and events highlighting equality issues.
How to apply
Please quote in application: Management Committee Members (Volunteer) via Pro Bono Australia.