About the Role
About All Together Now: All Together Now is a small Sydney-based not-for-profit organisation that educates Australians about racism. It does this by imaging and delivering innovative and evidence-based projects that promote racial equity. It is community driven, it utilises partnered approaches and its work is intersectional. Many of All Together Now’s projects have won awards for social impact, including two awards from the United Nations.
Background: All Together Now was established in 2010. In approaching its ten-year anniversary it is looking to appoint two Non-Executive Directors (NEDs) to help take its work to the next level. One NED will have a strong focus on securing income from philanthropy and major gift income, while the other will have a strong focus on strategic communications with the media and parliamentarians.
The Present: The organisation’s current foci are:
- Providing training for youth workers and other front-line workers so they are able to prevent recruitment by right-wing extremists in their community
- Monitoring the media for racialised discourse and providing analysis on its findings
- Working with affected communities to create solutions to racism
Over the past year, the organisation has trained over 100 front-line workers, and analysed over 150 opinion pieces and current affairs articles for racism. It has worked with not-for-profit organisations and government agencies to challenge racism and has secured project funding to continue to do so into 2020 and beyond.
The Future: All Together Now’s vision is for a racially equitable Australia, and over the next five years it will continue its work towards this vision by expanding its current programs interstate.
The Opportunity: Two NEDs are sought to compliment an existing board made up of the Founder and Independent Directors. As such, the successful candidates must bring complementary skills (as set out below) to the board but will also be tasked to use their demonstrable passion for anti-racism and specific connections to drive and guide the success of the organisation. The NEDs will also be required to work with the board to manage risk and contribute to meet the strategic, regulatory and governance challenges of the organisation.
This is an exciting opportunity to be involved with Australia’s largest anti-racism not-for-profit organisation that truly punches above its weight. It offers the rare opportunity to get involved in a human rights organisation that puts evidence at the heart of all of its work.
All Together Now is seeking the following experience and qualities in a Non-Executive Director:
- Governance: Demonstration of prior governance experience, ideally at a small not-for-profit organisation.
- Skills & Experience: A strong understanding of the role of Non-Executive Directors, particularly in contrast to the role of Management. Evidence of one or both of the following to achieve strategic goals:
- Major gift fundraising
- Strategic communications (specifically with media and state/federal governments)
- Networks & Connections: Desire to leverage your personal network to deliver All Together Now’s strategic goals. Ability and desire to forge new relationships with potential donors or in-kind supporters to secure funding that delivers structural capacity for All Together Now.
- Cultural Fit: A demonstrable passion for innovation; experience working in human rights or social justice; a genuine passion for racial equity in Australia; and a strong alignment with All Together Now’s mission, vision, and definition of racism.
Location and Time Commitment
All Together Now has a national remit with its Executive Director based in Sydney. Directors may be based anywhere in Australia providing they have a good internet connection.
The Board meets once every three months in person (for Sydney-based Directors) and by Skype (for Directors based outside Sydney).
Directors are expected to follow through on actions as agreed at previous board meetings. This may include meeting with supporters, reading papers, and other activities that further All Together Now’s activities.
Please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter outlining how you meet each of the core requirements to Priscilla Brice, Managing Director, at info at alltogethernow.org.au. People of colour, people from ethnic or cultural minority backgrounds, Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islanders are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications close 9 June.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 02 9211 3404
Email : email@example.com
Please quote in application: Non-Executive Director via Pro Bono Australia.