About the role
About the Charity
Human and Hope Association Inc. (HHA Inc.) is a registered charity that empowers communities to address inequalities. We achieve this through two approaches:
- Raising awareness in Australia about the unintended consequences of voluntourism and advocating for a local approach to development.
- Financially supporting a grassroots community centre in Cambodia (HHA Cambodia) who run education, vocational training and community development programs that alleviate poverty.
About the Role
We are searching for a Board President who will facilitate the effective functioning of the Board and help grow our organisation. This is an exciting opportunity to help a charity that is leading the way in grassroots, sustainable development.
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Previous experience on a not-for-profit board in an executive position
- Proven professional experience in leadership or management in business, government, philanthropy or the not-for-profit sector
- Strong leadership and exceptional communication and diplomatic skills
- Deep care and passion for the Association’s needs and direction. Personal connection and experience to the Association’s cause is preferred
- Chairing board meetings, AGMs and EGMs efficiently, shaping the agenda in relation to goals, strategy, budget and performance, and inspiring board members to take decisions behind a common purpose
- Highly developed organisational skills, including the ability to set priorities and complete tasks to deadlines
- Willingness to devote the required time to serving on the Board
- Have a good working knowledge of the Association’s Constitutional requirements
- Have a sound knowledge of applicable acts, regulations, laws and corporate governance
- Personal connections for support
- AICD accreditation (highly preferable)
Your personal attributes will include:
- Passion for localization and Cambodian-driven solutions – understand that empowering local communities is the best sustainable solution;
- Integrity – fulfill a director’s duties and responsibilities, acting consistently with appropriate independence, and adherence to strong moral and ethical principles;
- Credibility – have a trustworthy reputation of discipline and rigor that will result in respect from all stakeholders;
- Collaborative yet curious and courageous – able to function as a committed team player, curious, and unafraid of robust discussions;
- Active contribution – be an active influencer and connected leader with genuine interest in HHA Inc. and the importance of local empowerment;
- Ability to make informed decisions – eager to listen actively and conduct necessary research before making a decision that is always in the best interest of HHA Cambodia and aligns with their values.
Please see the attached position description for further information on the responsibilities of this role.
The President can expect to spend about six – seven hours per week on independent work and attend a two-hour monthly meeting. Ideally the President would hold the role for a minimum of two years.
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and your C.V to CEO Sally Hetherington OAM and Secretary Helene Do at email@example.com. Please include two professional referees.
For an information pack or enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close on Friday, 15th January 2021 at 5pm AEDT.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: President (Chair) with Human & Hope via Pro Bono Australia.