About the role
Join the RMCC team as a Program Intern and help young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds thrive in school and life!
Program Interns contribute to RMCC’s mission of empowering refugee kids to create their own opportunities through assisting the Program Coordinator with the preparation of program materials and the development and execution of program sessions.
- Commitment Period: A minimum of 6 months, but we love it if it’s longer!
- Location: RMCC HQ at 21a Sun Crescent, Sunshine VIC 3020 (position may be remote according to ongoing government health recommendations)
- Frequency: Two days per week and bimonthly team meetings
- Report to and support Program Coordinator;
- Assist in sourcing and compiling program materials;
- Assist with the running of programs;
- Assist with program research and development;
- Mentor children and adolescents between 5-18 years of age in a range of topics with an emphasis on the English language and building new life skills;
- Assist in the development of social events for volunteer mentors;
- Build trusting relationships with mentors and mentees and help identify when referrals to further support services are required;
- Assist with any other program tasks that may arise.
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience working with children and/or young people;
- Fluent in the English language with outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent computer skills, with experience in the Microsoft Office Suite;
- A passion for, and knowledge of, current refugee and asylum seeker issues.
WHO YOU ARE
- Passionate about the mission of RMCC and creating change for vulnerable refugee and migrant children;
- A driven self-starter that thinks outside of the box;
- Attention to detail, with extraordinary organisational skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Confident, professional, and willing to embrace challenges;
- Positive and inclusive, with a love of networking and relationship-building;
- Prior volunteer experience looked highly upon.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS ROLE
- Current volunteer Working With Children Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Current National Police Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Attend periodic compulsory training;
- Attend bi-monthly team meetings outside of business hours;
- Able to volunteer a minimum 2 days a week, for at least 6 months.
Please see the attached Position Description for additional information!
At RMCC, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we are an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, or disability.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Program Intern via Pro Bono Australia.