About the role
- Do you love reading?
- Are you passionate about improving literacy?
- Do you want to learn skills and knowledge to support young people to read?
The Ready Reading program is an initiative of the Queensland State Government and aims to improve literacy skills, boost confidence and encourage a love of reading and learning across Queensland state, Catholic and Independent schools.
Volunteering Queensland and the Queensland Department of Education are working together to recruit and train 3,000 mums, dads, grandparents, carers and members of the community to share their knowledge and time to foster a love of reading.
Working under the direction of the classroom teacher and in line with the school’s policies and procedures, Ready Reading volunteers will be responsible for:
- Providing reading support to early readers.
- Engaging children in the reading process and modelling the art of reading.
- Implementing reading strategies and the five essential components for learning to read.
- Supporting children before, during and after they read, through questioning on illustrations, main ideas in the book, characters, settings and meaning in the story.
- Providing positive feedback.
- Working in a safe manner.
- Reporting incidents, hazards, and accidents.
Required Experience, Skills and Qualifications
To be an effective Ready Reading volunteer, applicants require:
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to adapt communication to suit a diverse audience (from early year students to teachers).
- A love of reading and a commitment to demonstrating a positive and proactive approach to reading.
- Confidence in using reading support strategies to assist children in developing independent reading skills (this will be outlined further in training).
- Ability to follow direction.
- Previous experience teaching or tutoring whilst beneficial, is not necessary.
Additional requirements for this role
- Applicants must complete online and face-to-face training.
- Applicants must have or be eligible to apply for a Working with Children Check (Blue Card). Volunteering Queensland will support volunteers in the application process. There is no cost for a volunteer Blue Card.
- Applicants will be required to provide the details of two referees at point of registration.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
Volunteers will be required to complete online and face-to-face training (one half day session). Face-to-face training will be held in Jimboomba on 19th February, 9:00am-1:00pm and Kingston on 5 March, 9:00am-1:00pm. Volunteers only need to attend one half day session. Applicants are required to register for the program (via the link below) before they can attend or be advised of future training sessions.
To complete your application and register for this program, please click on the link below. Applicants who do not register via this link, will not be accepted.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0730027609
Please quote in application: Ready Reading Volunteer-Logan and surrounding region via Pro Bono Australia.