About the Role
- Do you have a passion for improving literacy?
- Can you commit to at least one hour of volunteering per week?
- Are you patient and positive?
The Ready program is an initiative of the Queensland State Government and aims to improve literacy skills, boost confidence and encourage a love of reading and learning across Queensland state, Catholic and Independent schools.
Volunteering Queensland and the Queensland Department of Education are working together to recruit and train 3,000 mums, dads, grandparents, carers and members of the community to share their knowledge and time to foster a love of reading.
Working under the direction of the classroom teacher and in line with the school’s policies and procedures, Ready Reading volunteers will be responsible for:
- Providing reading support to early readers.
- Engaging children in the reading process and modelling the art of reading.
- Implementing reading strategies and the five essential components for learning to read.
- Supporting children before, during and after they read, through questioning on illustrations, main ideas in the book, characters, settings and meaning in the story.
- Providing positive feedback.
- Working in a safe manner.
- Reporting incidents, hazards, and accidents
To be an effective Ready Reading volunteer, applicants require:
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to adapt communication to suit a diverse audience (from early year students to teachers).
- A love of reading and a commitment to demonstrating a positive and proactive approach to reading.
- Confidence in using reading support strategies to assist children in developing independent reading skills ( this will be outlined further in training).
- Ability to follow direction.
- Previous experience teaching or tutoring whilst beneficial, is not necessary
Additional requirements for this role
- Applicants must complete online and face-to-face training.
- Applicants must have or be willing to obtain a Working with Children Check (Blue Card).
- Applicants will be required to provide the details of two referees at point of interview (family members will not be accepted as referee).
- Applicants must have the right to work in Australia.
- Valid driver’s licence may be useful but it is not necessary.
To complete your application and register for this program, please click on the link below. Applicants who do not register via this link, will not be accepted.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
The Ready Reading Team
Please quote in application: Ready Reading Volunteer-Townsville via Pro Bono Australia.