About the Role
Volunteer Greeters will be stationed alongside staff at entry points to help welcome visitors, provide directions, escort visitors to where they need to go, and refer questions to Library staff as required.
Location: State Library Victoria, 328 Swanston Street, Melbourne.
About this role: Please read this Volunteer Greeter position description (also available as a PDF download at the bottom of this page) for details about this role, and read our Volunteer with us page for important information about volunteering at the Library.
For more information: Please contact Susan McLaine, Visitor Services Volunteer Coordinator on 03 8664 7215 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you’ll do
- Provide exceptional visitor experiences.
- Provide a warm greeting to visitors as they enter and exit the Library.
- Proactively assist Library visitors to identify Library services, programs and the areas of the Library they can use for different purposes.
- Personally escort visitors around the Library.
- Answer basic queries and refer policy and reference questions to Library staff.
- Confidently communicate and connect with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Encourage visitors to spend time in the Library, using a positive attitude to point out features of interest and provide advice on things to do in the time visitors have to spend in the Library.
- Be an active ambassador for the Library and tourism in the City of Melbourne.
- Become familiar with the Library building and the Vision 2020 redevelopment project and maintain a satisfactory level of competence as a Greeter, including active participation in ongoing training, attending quarterly Greeters meeting and development and evaluation as required.
- Participate in a regular roster (one 3-hour shift per fortnight).
What we’re looking for
- Interest and/or experience in a cultural and/or customer/visitor service environment.
- Ability to engage with people in a friendly, professional manner and to make them feel welcome.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to listen, ask questions and communicate clearly and confidently.
- Well-developed cross-cultural communication skills and ability to connect with diverse Library visitors.
- The ability to speak a second language will be well regarded.
- Availability to undertake 3 full days of Induction (dates for the Greeters Program Induction are on the Volunteer Greeter’s application).
- Availability to volunteer for 3 hours per fortnight (daily between 9.45am to 12.45 pm or 12.30 pm to 3.30 pm) for a minimum period of 12 months
- Be aware of and behave in accordance with all relevant Library policies and procedures
What we’ll provide
- a structured induction including visitor service training
- ongoing training to support visitor service
- access to State Library Victoria volunteer events
- access to the Billabong, our spacious staff and volunteer tearoom, with lockers and free tea and coffee
- discounts at Mr Tulk Café and Readings book shop at the Library
- discount on Friends of the Library membership
- the opportunity to become part of a strong community of volunteers and staff at one of Australia’s leading cultural institutions.
State Library Victoria is a Child Safe Organisation. If offered a volunteer role, a valid Working with Children Check will be required before commencing. Working with Children Checks are free for volunteers.
The Library also reserves the right to introduce police checks at a future date. Continued engagement as a Library volunteer will be subject to a satisfactory police check in accordance with role requirements, laws and Library policies applicable at that time.
Predominant physical requirements of this role:
- walking/moving around the Library during the three-hour shift
- standing/remaining stationary at Library entry points during the three-hour shift
- some general computer use.
How to apply
Please DO NOT apply via the “APPLY FOR THIS POSITION” button below. Please apply ONLY via the State Library Victoria website by Sunday 24th February 2019 to apply for a Greeters position. https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/about-us/work-with-us/volunteer-with-us
(Please note: if you are applying to volunteer at the Library for the first time, you will need to register and provide required contact information before you can submit the online application form.)
If you are unable to apply online, or have difficulties accessing the information or lodging your application, please email contact Susan McLaine, Visitor Services Volunteer Coordinator on 03 8664 7215 or email@example.com.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Susan McLaine, Visitor Services Volunteer Coordinator
Phone : 0386647215
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: State Library Victoria Volunteer Greeter via Pro Bono Australia.