About the role
The Stepping Stones Program’s objective is to ensure that women from refugee and migrant backgrounds are socially connected and through informed choice are able to control their economic participation through starting and running a small business. The Program aims to build upon participants’ strengths by providing training and skills development, business and financial literacy education, mentoring activities and support to increase refugee and migrant women’s social interaction, economic participation and awareness of rights. It also provides small business seminars to the wider refugee and migrant community.
The role of the mentor is to support women from refugee and migrant backgrounds to develop their own business. The Stepping Stones program is currently looking for mentors with marketing skills to support women to promote their business. We are also looking for mentors with micro/small business knowledge, development and management skills
There are several Stepping Stones mentoring opportunities for volunteers to contribute to the program. These include (but not limited to):
- One-on-one mentoring support, marketing skills (for business program participants at a time).
- Transactional mentoring/Short term (for resume and cover letter writing).
- Transactional mentoring/Short term (for stages of business – with retail, markets and craft and services experts).
- Goal setting sessions – life coaching or small business planning experience preferred.
- Run a pro bono Workshop, or assist in workshops– helping individuals with business plans, marketing or preparing entrepreneurs to market/pitch their business.
To meet the selection criteria, candidate will require
- Ability to hold fortnightly mentoring sessions for a minimum of twelve months (if taking on a one-on-one role).
- Commitment to attend mentor induction sessions.
- Ability to relate to people from different cultural backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills and patience to persist with possible challenges.
- Micro/Small Business knowledge.
- Micro/Small Business development and management skills.
- Finance/marketing knowledge and/or experience.
- A passionate desire to contribute to positive change in people’s lives.
For further details, download and read the Stepping Stones Mentor Role Description or phone Emma Gale on (03) 9422 5651.
To apply: please email your cover letter, completed screening questionnaire and resume to volunteer(at)bsl.org.au. Please note that all our applicants are required to complete the screening questionnaire
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0394225651
Email : email@example.com
Please quote in application: Stepping Stones Mentor via Pro Bono Australia.