About the Role
At Generous & Grateful, we make kindness easy, by connecting furniture rescue with those recovering from trauma, including those who have left their homes due to family violence, seeking asylum, the recently homeless and Youth at Risk.
We collect key household items from kind hearted donors to help set up a warm safe home base from which trauma survivors have the power to create the future they wish for. The items we supply are those typically too expensive, heavy and complicated to source themselves — such as beds, fridges, washing machines, sofas, TV’s, chests of drawers, tables, chairs and microwaves. We don’t decorate or do the ‘nice to have’ things as it is important to recipients to create their own home. We just do the most urgent, tricky items to get them settled and on track.
This simple act greatly reduces their risk of homelessness and empowers them towards self-determination and a brighter future in the knowledge that they are supported by their community, that kind people care about them. We don’t see ourselves as delivering charity – these are gifts to boost people and show them they are valued and worthy.
Would you like to be involved?
We are looking for enthusiastic and committed volunteers to help us connect our generous donors with those who need support.
This opportunity involves receiving, checking, storing and adding to the stock list donations of household items from private or corporate donors across much of sydney. Also preparing orders for dispatch to drivers and updating stock lists.
• A regular commitment on a fortnightly, monthly (our preferences) or quarterly basis.
• Typically shifts will be 4 hours with flexibility around start and finish times based on the volunteer. We can accommodate weekday, weekend or evening shifts, again based on preference.
• This position has an initial one month trial period.
• All volunteers are required to attend induction & training sessions
What will a typical shift be like?
• Report to storage unit currently in Ryde
• Follow a schedule prepared by our Logistics Manager
o Receive goods from our kind donors brought directly to base
o Check in driver pickups
o Move and organise goods for delivery to those in our communities who need it the most
• Wipe down goods received as needed.
• Alert tagging and testing team of items awaiting attention.
• Finish the shift knowing you have made a positive impact on people’s lives – families, lonely individuals and youth at risk.
To be successful in this role you will have:
• Experience or interest in working in a not-for-profit organisation
• Good communication and interpersonal skills – ability to respond with sensitivity, positivity and patience
• A can-do attitude with some creativity and openness to change as we redesign our processes to improve efficiency.
• Open to change and keen to make suggestions for positive change
• Ability to work as a part of a diverse team
• Commitment and reliability
Volunteer benefits include:
Fabulous feel good factor, working with like minded,, kind hearted people, a current reference to enhance your CV, a differentiator in job interviews, a feeling of contribution to important social issues of our time, something different to talk to friends and family about, exposure to different ways of thinking & living than your average day to day, pride in working to tackle a social challenge in a different way, … you tell us!
For more information please contact us via the Express Interest link below. We look forward to doing kindness with you!
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Please quote in application: TEAM KINDNESS VOLUNTEER – Despatch and Stock Control via Pro Bono Australia.