About the role
Four of the 14 teams that represent Melbourne University Football Club (MUFC) play as University Blacks. Established in 1859, the MUFC is the third oldest Australian Rules football club in Australia, with only Melbourne and Geelong founded earlier. University played in the VFL between 1908 and 1914, and the club has been a powerhouse in Amateur football since 1921.
For more information in regards to our club, please visit this link: http://www.uniblacks.org.au/
The Thirds Coach will be responsible for leading and managing the Thirds’ playing group within the University Blacks. Affectionately known as ‘The Phoenix’, the Thirds team has created a unique culture and spirit within the group. At its core, the Phoenix are an inclusive team that welcomes all players regardless of ability and stage of their football journey. The aim is to find a perfect balance of mixing footy with fun, yet still commit to playing at a competitive level. The Phoenix take their football seriously, but also understanding that family, work and study commitments are the higher priority.
The Phoenix Coach will continue to lead and develop the football program designed to deliver success whilst catering for various levels of ability. There is a strong focus on skill development and teaching the basics of the game as well as providing the opportunity for players to push up into higher grades throughout the season.
The successful candidate will be ably supported by players of the Phoenix Leadership group and will get to work with the Senior Coach, Reserves Coach, U19s Coach, Secretary, Football Operations Manager and Team Manager to ensure the highest coaching standards across the Club’s football program.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and innovation
- Oversee a transparent and effective team selection process
- Finalise team selections on Thursday night and present to the group at the sponsors’ bar
- Liaise with physio staff with availability of injured players
- Provide regular individual and group feedback
- Enhance skill and game sense abilities
The Thirds Coach will be responsible for the coordination of preseason training beginning from January to March with at least one session a week.
Regular season begins in April to August with possible finals in September. Thirds training will run from 5.45pm-7.45pm on Tuesday and Thursday nights. All training sessions and home games will be held at either University Oval or Crawford Oval.
- Strong ability to develop relationships with a broad range of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and with a high level of flexibility both in a team and independently, in an environment with changing demands.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and be a positive representative of the University Blacks Football Club
- Commitment to attend all training sessions and matches including preseason
- Demonstrated understanding of the values of amateur football
- Previous experience in a leadership position, perhaps with the ambition to progress to higher levels of coaching in the future.
- Level 1 or 2 Coaching Accreditation
- First Aid Certificate
- Drivers Licence
About the organisation
How to apply
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0422889727
Please quote in application: Thirds’ Senior Coach via Pro Bono Australia.