About the Role
TYPE OF POSITION: Volunteer
KEY RELATIONSHIPS: Internal staff and volunteers, high school students, high schools
TIME COMMITMENT: 1.5-2 days per week for 12 months
REPORTS To: National Schools Program Team
We’re looking for a passionate person to coordinate the delivery the Switched on Schools Program across Victoria. The candidate will empower over 2,000 students from 40 high schools across Victoria to engage with climate justice and lead the Repower our Schools campaign. The Switched on Schools program gives students the skills and tools to build whole school support for meaningful climate action and commit to a plan to make their school more sustainable, from getting solar panels to reducing energy use.
1. Coordinate volunteer recruitment and training for a Melbourne Climate Justice Summit in 2018 with 250-300 high school students from across Victoria
2. Manage a volunteer team to deliver the summit, in-school climate justice workshops, run Student Climate Action Network meetings and support with schools outreach
3. Support the roll out of the Student Climate Leadership Program, and peer to peer Student Climate Action Network
4. Recruit students and schools to take on the Repower our Schools campaign
5. Mentor students and schools to engage their whole school, create a sustainability action plan and adopt the repower pledge. Organise in-school workshops, out-of-school meetings and ongoing mentoring.
6. Recruit, train and support new school volunteers to mentor students to run the Repower our Schools campaign
7. Coordinate data management including on and off line data pathways and management systems
8. Coordinate Repower our Schools campaigns with Victorian AYCC branch to achieve shared goals
Experience and Competencies
The ideal candidate will be a passionate person who has been involved in youth education programs before ideally in schools or has been involved/interested in community organising. We are made up almost entirely of young people, so we understand that many people do not have a lot of experience but that enthusiasm counts for a whole lot. Regardless of your experience, the ideal candidate will have:
● Experience working with young people and in high school settings
● Volunteer management experience
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with a wide-range of audiences from diverse backgrounds
● Interest or experience in community organizing
● Interest or experience working in and knowledge of sustainability and climate justice
● Commitment to the mission and values of the AYCC
See position description for further information.
Please send your CV and a one page statement addressing the key selection criteria (dot points is fine) and interest in the role to Laura Sykes (National Schools Program Director) -email@example.com
Applications open on Thursday 9th November, and close 5pm Thursday 23rd November.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0437007437
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Victorian Schools Coordinator x2 via Pro Bono Australia.