About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for energetic Visitor Experience Officers to join the team and play a key role in inspiring and engaging our MIRKA audiences.
Our Visitor Experience volunteers bring our MIRKA project and the Museum to life, facilitating access to the exhibition, ensuring the integrity of the objects on display and connecting with our audiences to foster curiosity.
- Engaging with visitors across the site; in the exhibition, front of house, shop and activity areas.
- Welcoming visitors to MIRKA, checking tickets and supporting audiences to get the most from their visit.
- Staffing the admissions desk, taking cash and EFTPOS payments for tickets and merchandise.
- Supervising and ensuring the integrity and safety of the objects on display.
- Supporting the Museum in ensuring COVIDSafe measures are upheld.
- Encouraging visitors to try out hands-on activities.
- Supporting our team with setting up informal learning and activity spaces.
- On occasion supporting formal and informal events and workshops during weekends, holidays and evenings.
What the Jewish Museum Can Offer
- A fun and engaging volunteer role in a vibrant environment.
- Museum-relevant training sessions and the chance to develop skills and experience.
- An opportunity to explore the fascinating story of artist Mirka Mora, her life and art.
- Opportunities for social gatherings, the chance to make new friends and be a part of the dynamic Museum team.
- Regular giveaways to ticketed Museum events
- Up to 15% discount on selected merchandise in the Museum shop
- Free access to the exhibition when accompanying a paying guest. Guest can access the concession ticket price regardless of eligibility.
- A reference when you have been volunteering with us regularly over a reasonable period of time.
- You’re enthusiastic and friendly with good communication skills.
- You’re curious, keen to find out more, and then share this knowledge with our visitors.
- You can volunteer for a morning or afternoon session one day each week.
- You’re willing to undertake training related to the role.
- You’re excited about engaging with our audiences of all ages and backgrounds.
- No prior experience or knowledge is necessary, the Museum will provide you with the training and information needed.
Volunteers are a vital part of our Museum and play an important role in enhancing our impact. As a community organisation, we’re committed to providing volunteer opportunities of a high standard.
About the organisation
At the Jewish Museum of Australia, we illuminate Jewish life. At the intersection of art and Jewish culture, our Museum is a place for all people to share in the Australian Jewish experience. Through a vibrant calendar of onsite and online experiences and events, the Jewish Museum is recognised as one of Australia’s leading community museums.
Celebrating global Jewish excellence and everydayness through an Australian prism, we inspire curiosity, conversation and play with engagement and connection at our heart.
Guided by our strong belief in the power of museums to change lives, we create world- class exhibitions and programs that convey the stories of our diverse community and enhance social cohesion.
With the highly successful launch of the Museum’s MIRKA exhibition and the prospect of a major redevelopment on the horizon (as a part of the newly announced Jewish Arts Quarter in Elsternwick), this is an opportune moment to become a part of this dynamic organisation.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Visitor Experience Officer (Volunteer) via Pro Bono Australia.