About the role
The Friends of The Australian Ballet will celebrate its 50th Anniversary on July 19th 2023 and are looking for a Volunteer Archivist to assist with preparations to celebrate this momentous milestone. As the Volunteer Archivist, you will work on the assessment, documentation and preparation of materials related to FAB’s history, with the aim of creating a written history of FAB.
You will have some existing experience in archival practices or in some other allied experience, such as tertiary education, that is aligned to this position.
The Volunteer Archivist will collect oral accounts from past and current members, as well as locating material from the Friends office and other sources. This position is a great opportunity for a candidate who enjoys first-hand research, is experienced with recording and documenting oral accounts, and is interested in creating a lasting record for The Friends.
This position is voluntary and reports to The Friends staff, Katie Fraser the Events and Marketing Coordinator and Amy Hill the Administration Coordinator. The position will be largely self-directed but supported and guided by the two staff and members of The Friends Management Committee. The role is flexible in terms of hours required, but the candidate would be required to attend The Friends office at least once a month to liaise with the staff.
Friends of The Australian Ballet is committed to the quality of the volunteer and internship programs we offer. The successful candidate will be provided with genuine learning and development opportunities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
This position will support the Events and Marketing Coordinator and the Administration Manager, and liaise with members of the FAB Council and Events and Marketing Committee to create and deliver a documented history of FAB. The nature of the responsibilities and duties will vary but will include:
- Conducting interviews with past and current FAB members;
- Locating and sorting historical documents;
- Conducting in-depth research, with both first and second hand sources;
- Assisting with administration, documentation and cataloguing, processing, storage, movement and transport of objects, and creating and maintaining records;
- Creating collection management database records, and arrange and describe archival materials.
- Assisting with ensuring the safety, security, location control and maintenance of archives and objects in storage.
- Ensuring adherence to a high level of archival management practice and procedures and a culture of optimal external and internal customer service.
About the organisation
The Friends of the Australian Ballet (FAB) is the principal support organisation for The Australian Ballet (TAB) in NSW. FAB is an independent, not-for-profit, membership-based company limited by guarantee, established in 1973.
It has a broad-based charter to promote the appreciation of and access to ballet and the world of dance while focusing on The Australian Ballet Company specifically. The Friends principal activities are:
- The cultivation of community, connectedness and access through the management and service of the organisation’s core membership of friends and ballet lovers by providing an array of activities and events which are educational, social and offer behind the scenes access to the world of dance;
- Fund raising through a variety of events including approximately six Dress Rehearsals by the Company per year at the Sydney Opera House;
- Profile building by the delivery of one or two prestigious, major, public events per year.
Since FABs inception in 1973:
- Sold over ½ million tickets to members for The Australian Ballet dress rehearsals
- Reinvested millions of dollars in ballet specific projects at The Australian Ballet
- Presented over 500 events
- Held 50 major events
The Friends is committed to the development of new talent, providing scholarships for dancers with The Australian Ballet Company and students of The Australian Ballet School. In recent years FABs achievements have included:
- Funding more than 500 pairs of pointe shoes gifting $50,000 to the Pointe Shoe Fund
- Made donations in excess of $500,000 to directly fund ballet scholarships
How to apply
Applications close 5pm 18 June 2021.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter addressing the Selection Criteria, no more than 2 A4 pages.
- A current CV, no more than 2 A4 pages.
Please submit your applications to
Friends of The Australian Ballet
If you have any questions about this position, please contact Amy Hill on the above email or call Friends of The Australian Ballet on 02 9252 7322 Mon – Thurs 9.30am – 4.30pm
Please quote in application: Volunteer Archivist via Pro Bono Australia.