About the role
*** We have recently received increased interest from people wishing to volunteer and help us out. We are looking for a skilled individual with the time and experience to help with interviews, onboarding, communication, correspondence, and coordination of tasks and materials to volunteers and those wishing to help us. ***
Our organisation is seeking a Volunteer Coordinator to manage volunteer resources and assist us in the delivery of the organisation’s programs and services. This includes directly managing volunteers, coordinating their tasks and project/task deadlines, and providing guidance and support to volunteers.
Since 1997, our charity has supported those in Western Australia with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and now also Lyme disease. We are an unfunded and all-volunteer-run organisation.
This position is an unpaid pro bono or volunteer position. You will be contributing to helping us make a difference in the lives of others, while gaining career experience, and may also receive a Letter of Recommendation to assist you in your future career aspirations.
Hours are estimated to be 7 hours per week. You can choose to help whenever you are available and have time, or when there is a deadline to be met. For example, you might choose to contribute 1 hour each day, or 7 hours in a single day each week. There are no set working hours, aside from when attending an interview, training session, or meeting.
You can work from home, or choose to work from our Nedlands office for 1 to 2 days per week.
Planning and oversight
- Assess the need for volunteers to enhance program/service delivery.
- Develop and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the organisation.
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills.
- Assist with succession planning and training for future volunteer coordinators.
Communications and admin
- Interview and communicate with potential volunteers.
- Respond to enquiries and applications to volunteer.
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of the organisation, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers.
- Develop clear and concise organisation policies for the recruitment and management of volunteers.
- Develop clear and concise volunteer induction packs.
- Develop and administer forms and records to document the volunteer activities.
- Contribute to an annual report on the contribution of the volunteer program to the organisation.
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and write the volunteer position descriptions in consultation with team members as appropriate.
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the volunteer program and the organisation.
- Assist with the coordination of volunteer tasks and rostering.
- Report on the contribution of individual volunteers.
- Ensure compliance with relative legislation pertaining to volunteers and the workplace.
- Review insurance policies and make recommendations.
- Implement a screening process for potential volunteers according to accepted screening standards and practices.
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognise the contribution of volunteers to the organisation.
- Attend organisation events that may require volunteer supervision and coordination.
- Ensure that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained according to established procedures.
- Assist with any conflict resolution among volunteers according to established procedures.
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations.
- Identify, coordinate, and monitor external training opportunities for volunteers.
- Ensure that volunteers are given appropriate training to be successful in their positions.
- Follow and develop best practice to align with the National Volunteer Standards framework.
Optional: Assisting with a corporate volunteering program would be helpful, but is not essential.
Optional: Assisting with grants related to the volunteer program would be helpful, but is not essential.
- Prior experience managing volunteers or staff in a not for profit organisation.
- Knowledge of legislative requirements and best practices pertaining to volunteer programs.
- Communicate effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organisation
- Solve problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve any problems.
- Build relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally.
- Foster teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organisational effectiveness.
- A human resources or volunteer management background, or closely related qualifications and experience.
- Excellent communication skills and confidence.
- Reliable home internet connection and private and secure computer access.
- Maintain confidentiality and privacy at all times.
To apply please email your application (both a cover letter and CV) to email@example.com using the subject line: Volunteer Coordinator Application.
We look forward to hearing from you.
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Volunteer Coordinator (7 hours per week) via Pro Bono Australia.