About the Role
Operating out of rooms in the Downing Centre Court Complex 143-147 Liverpool Street, Sydney, Australia, Robert Nixon, solicitor, provides free legal assistance to those he has the resources to help.
Mr Nixon provides Australian based university law students studying at any Australian based university law school, who participate regularly from first year to final year, with the opportunity to assist him to provide this free legal service. Those who volunteer gain valuable practical legal work experience of both a civil and criminal litigious nature.
You should be available to attend the office between 8:30 am and 6.30 pm on the first Friday of each month and whenever there is a fifth Friday in any month. To be eligible for consideration you must:
– normally reside in Australia
– have excellent fluency and comprehension in oral and written English
– be a problem solver
– be able to work under pressure and
– be confident communicating and dealing with strangers.
Personal qualities of empathy, initiative and critical thinking are more important than prior legal knowledge. The opportunity may be PLT compliant.
If successful in your application, you will work in a group of eight under Robert’s personal supervision to:
– explain the nature of the service that can be offered
– interview and record potential clients’ preliminary instructions
– liaise with court staff, police prosecutors and Roads and Maritime Services representatives
– record particulars of conferences involving Mr Nixon and the client; and
– assist generally in the preparation and presentation of the client’s case both at the initial hearing and at any adjournment.
For further information and to apply please call Robert on (02) 98725766 between 6.30pm and 8.00pm weekdays, and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on weekends and public holidays.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Phone : 0298725766
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Volunteer Court Assistants sough: Downing Centre Court Complex via Pro Bono Australia.