About the role
We are currently seeking Volunteer Lead Tenants to assist the Community Integration and Accommodation Options (CIAO) program at Melbourne City Mission which provides accommodation and support services to young people who are on statutory orders (which include child protection and/or youth justice orders).
The young people referred to the CIAO Program are aged between 15 and 17 years and are usually exiting residential services. The aim of the program is to support young people to progress towards living independently.
Lead Tenants are volunteers who live with young people who are supported by the CIAO Program at a property based in the Northern region of Melbourne (on the outskirts of the CBD) for a minimum of 5 nights per week.
What the Lead Tenant does:
- Shares a household with young people and plays a vital role in providing mentoring and positive role modelling to assist the young person to develop positive relationships with families, peers and the wider community
- Assists young people within the household to develop vital life skills to progress towards independent living
- Supports young people with challenging and complex issues by providing day-to-day emotional support
- Monitors the safety and well-being of young people in the household
Every young person referred to the CIAO program also has a designated Case Manager who provides support with accommodation, advocacy, education and training.
Who we are looking for:
We are seeking expressions of interest from people who have a genuine belief in supporting young people who may have challenging and complex issues. You will have the ability to build rapport with young people and have an interest in social justice. Qualities we look for in our Lead Tenants include an interest in supporting young people, strong communication skills, enthusiasm and a flexible approach.
A police check will be undertaken for the successful applicant, and a volunteer Working with Children Check is required.
Why be a Lead Tenant?
- You may be interested in pursuing a career working with young people and this volunteering opportunity will provide the chance to develop practical skills in this area
- Lead Tenants will not be charged rent nor any utilities costs
- A range of training and support is provided
- An opportunity to give something back to the community
About the organisation
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this volunteering opportunity.
Please quote in application: Volunteer Lead Tenants - CIAO Program via Pro Bono Australia.