About the Role
Refugee Migrant Children Centre (RMCC) is a grass roots charity that provides educational and social development services to refugee and migrant children and youth between the ages of 5-18 years. We believe each child has the right to equal opportunities and our mission is to provide tailored services that empower, build knowledge and develop confidence.
Services we provide include a weekly learning support program, mentoring, educational material aid, and workshops.
We seek to prioritise the wellbeing of children, so that a sense of agency, value and identity can be developed within the broader Australian community.
Volunteer Mentor Role Our Learning Support Program aims to provide academic and social support to refugee & migrant children between the ages of 5-14 years. We mentor students in ESL, English and mathematics, as well as promoting social inclusion, cultural acceptance and building confidence. Students are also encouraged to bring along any homework they need assistance with.
- Provide high quality mentoring to students in a range of topics with emphasis on English language and literacy
- Communicate effectively with students by articulating clearly, selecting vocabulary, and assessing comprehension by varying methods
- Listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning for students, and build student confidence
- Help guide students through their homework without doing the work for them
- Acquire deeper understanding of curriculum material and tutoring techniques and be open to new ideas on how to help students
- Building trusting relationships with children and identifying when students require referrals to further support services
Key Selection Criteria:
- Fluent in English
- Working with Children Check
- Based in Melbourne
- Self-motivated individual that can work both independently and in a team environment.
- Attend required training outside of LSP sessions
- Able to volunteer between 04:00- 05:00pm on Wednesdays for a minimum of 2 school terms (6 months)
- Attend monthly team meeting
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Email : email@example.com
Please quote in application: Volunteer Mentor – Learning Support Program via Pro Bono Australia.