About the role
Refugee Migrant Children Centre (RMCC) empowers refugee and migrant children and youth who now call Australia home to create their own opportunities.
The RMCC journey started back in 2012 with a humble homework club and has evolved to us assisting over 800 kids across multiple programs held within and outside of schools, and in 2020 our goal is to reach over 2000 kids in need.
Our mentoring programs have 4 target focus areas: education, identity and belonging, life skills, and mental health and wellbeing. These target areas tackle the unique and complex barriers kids from refugee and migrant backgrounds encounter by creating confidence, improving educational engagement and outcomes, establishing social connections and increasing independence.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Side by Side is for prep–year 2 students and their families and creates a space for families and their children to engage together and to build confidence in learning. Side by Side aims to increase family capacity to support their child’s learning at home. This program also assists parents to connect to the school community and to develop a better understanding of the Victorian school system.
The project involves:
- A weekly after school session each Monday from 2.00–5.00pm;
- Families and students working together;
- Project-based activities that include model building/robotics, gardening & conservation, dance, science projects and arts and crafts.
- Provide high quality mentoring to students and their families in a range of topics and projects with emphasis on family learning and engagement;
- Communicate effectively with students and their parents about the tasks involved and provide assistance when needed;
- Listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning for students and their families as well as build student confidence and family participation;
- Acquire deeper understanding of program material and mentoring techniques and be open to new ideas on how to help students and their families;
- Build a trusting learning relationship with the children and their families.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Fluent in written and spoken English;
- Current Working with Children Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Current National Police Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Self-motivated individual that can work both independently and in a team environment;
- Attend required training when necessary outside of Side by Side sessions;
- Able to volunteer between 2:00–5:00pm on Mondays in Sunshine West for a minimum of 2 school terms (6 months). Carpooling available;
- Attend monthly team meetings and outings.
Email your resume and a little about yourself to email@example.com. Please specify “Volunteer Mentor – Side by Side” in the subject line.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
For details concerning this role , please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Volunteer Mentor – Side by Side via Pro Bono Australia.