About the Role
RMCC empowers refugee and migrant children and youth to create their own opportunities. We tackle barriers that prevent engagement in education and the community by mentoring kids in our four focus areas: education, social identity, life skills, and mental health and wellbeing.
The RMCC journey started back in 2012 with a homework club and has evolved to us assisting over 700 kids across multiple programs, and by 2020 our goal is to reach over 2000 kids. We’re a different kind of charity, functioning outside of the status quo and value being fluid with the changing world around us. We love what we do – and we do it differently by not providing one solution for every child, we see each kid as unique and that means their potential will be tapped into uniquely too.
Our Sidekicks Junior program aims to provide academic and social support to refugee & migrant children between the ages of 5-12 years, with the focus being on creating a positive environment where children can engage in their learning. Mentors support participants through practicing written and spoken English through activity sheets, reading and group activities; as well as promoting social inclusion, cultural acceptance and building confidence. Participants are also encouraged to bring along any homework they need assistance with.
• Provide high quality mentoring to participants in a range of topics with emphasis on English language and literacy;
• Communicate effectively with participants by articulating clearly, selecting vocabulary, and assessing comprehension by varying methods;
• Listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning for students, and build participants confidence;
• Help guide students through their homework without doing the work for them
• Acquire deeper understanding of curriculum material and tutoring techniques and be open to new ideas on how to help students
• Building trusting relationships with children and identifying when students require referrals to further support services
Key Selection Criteria:
• Passionate about the mission of RMCC and creating change for vulnerable refugee and migrant children;
• Fluent in written and spoken English;
• Self-motivated individual that can work both independently and in a team environment;
• Attend required training outside of Sidekicks Junior sessions and monthly team meetings;
• Current Working with Children Check or willingness to obtain one;
• Current National Police Check [or willingness to obtain one at a discounted cost through RMCC];
• Able to volunteer between 03:45- 05:15pm on Wednesdays during school terms for a minimum of 6 months, with a minimum 80% attendance over the period. Sidekicks Junior program sessions are held in Footscray.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Volunteer Mentor-Sidekicks Junior via Pro Bono Australia.