About the Role
Volunteer Mentor – volunteer role PD
Refugee Migrant Children Centre‘s empowers refugee and migrant children and youth to create their
own opportunities. We tackle barriers that prevent engagement in education and the community by
mentoring kids in our four focus areas: education, social identity, life skills, and mental health and
The RMCC journey started back in 2012 with a homework club and has evolved to us assisting over
553 kids across multiple programs, and by 2020 our goal is to reach over 2000 kids. We’re a different
kind of charity, functioning outside of the status quo and value being fluid with the changing world
around us. We love what we do – and we do it differently by not providing one solution for every child,
we see each kid as unique and that means their potential will be tapped into uniquely too.
Volunteer Mentor Role
Our Sidekicks Program aims to provide academic and social support to refugee & migrant youth
between the ages of 13-16 years, with the focus being on creating a positive environment where
youth can engage in their education and local community.
• Provide high quality mentoring to participants in a range of topics with emphasis on English
language, conversational skill and literacy;
• Make personal connections with participants, our sessions are just as much about being
social and having fun;
• Communicate effectively with participants by articulating clearly, selecting vocabulary, and
assessing comprehension by varying methods;
• Listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, and build participants
• Help guide students through their homework without doing the work for them;
• Building trusting relationships with youth and identifying when students require referrals to
further support services.
Key Selection Criteria:
• Passionate about the mission of RMCC and wanting to create change for vulnerable refugee
and migrant youth;
• Fluent in written and spoken English;
• Self-motivated individual that can work both independently and in a team environment;
• Attend required training outside of Sidekicks sessions and monthly team meetings;
• Current working with Children Check;
• Able to volunteer between 4- 5:30pm on Thursdays at RMCC’s HQ in Sunshine for a
minimum of 6 months, with a minimum 80% attendance over the period.
Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents only (inc. New Zealand Citizens)
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Email : email@example.com
Please quote in application: Volunteer Mentor – Sidekicks Program (Sunshine) via Pro Bono Australia.