About the role
Become an RMCC mentor and empower youth from refugee and migrant backgrounds to create their own opportunities!
- Commitment Period: A minimum of 6 months, but we love it if it’s longer!
- Location: Sidekicks Senior is held across three locations in Melbourne’s West. Carpooling is available from RMCC HQ in Sunshine.
- Frequency: Weekly during school terms, as well as attending compulsory training sessions and monthly team meetings
- Time: Tuesday or Thursday afternoon, 2.00–5.00 pm
RMCC helps kids from refugee and migrant backgrounds thrive in school and life.
Our purpose is to tackle the unique and complex barriers faced by children and youth between 5-18 years from refugee, asylum seeker and migrant backgrounds, who now call Australia home, through their settlement journey so they become empowered individuals capable of creating their own opportunities.
We do this by providing unique and tailored mentoring programs in four focus areas of education, identity and belonging, life skills, and mental health and wellbeing, as well as upskilling teachers to better support the needs of the youth within the wider school community.
From humble beginnings in 2012, RMCC now assists over 800 children across multiple programs.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Our Sidekicks Senior program provides educational and social support to youth from refugee, migrant and asylum seeker backgrounds between the ages of 13-17 years. Sessions are comprised of educational support and life skill workshops, with the focus on creating a positive and judgement-free environment where youth can engage in learning and build new connections with peers, the wider community and their mentors.
- Mentor youth between 13-17 years of age in a range of topics with an emphasis on the English language and building new life skills;
- Make personal connections with participants, with Sidekicks being just as much about having fun and being social;
- Being part of creating an open minded, supportive and judgement free environment;
- Share your knowledge and experiences about your university and work life to give insight into further education possibilities and pathways into employment;
- Help build mentees’ confidence;
- Help guide students through their school work when needed without doing the work for them;
- Building trusting relationships with youth and identifying when mentees require referrals to further support services.
WHO YOU ARE
- Passionate about the mission of RMCC and wanting to create change for kids who now call Australia home;
- Highly professional, confident and see opportunities when others see challenges;
- Self-motivated individual who is ready to take initiative;
- Positive, caring and inclusive;
- Extraordinary organisational skills, with strong attention to detail;
- Have a natural flare and love of networking and building relationships;
- Ability to have fun whilst getting the job done as efficiently as possible.
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Fluent in the English language;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Can work both independently and in a team environment;
- Experience working with children and/or youth is looked highly upon;
- Previous volunteering experience is looked highly upon.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS ROLE:
- Current Working with Children Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Current National Police Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Attend required training outside of Sidekicks sessions and monthly team meetings;
- Available to volunteer between 2.00–5.00pm on Tuesday or Thursday, for a minimum of 6 months. Carpooling from Sunshine train station available.
- Minimum 80% attendance required over the period.
Email your resume and a little about yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify “Volunteer Mentor – Sidekicks Senior” in the subject line.
About the organisation
How to apply for this role
For details concerning this role , please contact
Email : email@example.com
Please quote in application: Volunteer Mentor - Sidekicks Senior via Pro Bono Australia.