About the role
Join the RMCC team as a Sidekicks Senior Mentor and help young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds thrive in school and life!
Sidekicks Senior Mentors contribute to RMCC’s mission of empowering refugee kids to create their own opportunities through assisting the Program Coordinator to execute program sessions and develop relationships with Sidekicks Senior participants.
Sidekicks Senior is for students aged 13-18 and provides educational support and life skill development to adolescents from refugee and migrant backgrounds. Mentors support participants by creating a positive and judgement free environment where students can engage in learning and build new connections with peers, the community and their mentors.
- Commitment Period: A minimum of 6 months, but we love it if it’s longer!
- Location: Sidekicks Senior is held across two locations in Melbourne’s West. Carpooling is available from RMCC HQ in Sunshine.
- Frequency: Weekly during school terms, as well as attending compulsory training sessions and bimonthly team meetings
- Time: Tuesday or Thursday afternoon, 2.00–5.00 pm
- Provide high quality mentoring to participants in a range of topics with emphasis on English language and building new life skills;
- Make personal connections with participants, contributing to an open, supportive, and judgement-free environment;
- Share your knowledge and experiences to give insight into further education possibilities and employment pathways;
- Listen actively and effectively in order to identify and solve problems, facilitate learning and build student confidence;
- Help guide students through homework and workshops without doing the work for them;
- Acquire deeper understanding of program material and mentoring techniques and be open to new ideas on how to help students;
- Build trusting relationships and identify when further support services are needed.
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Fluent in the English language with outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience working with children and/or young people is looked highly upon;
- A passion for, and knowledge of, current refugee and asylum seeker issues.
WHO YOU ARE
- Passionate about the mission of RMCC and creating change for vulnerable refugee and migrant children;
- Confident, professional, and willing to embrace challenges;
- A driven self-starter that is ready to take initiative;
- Positive, caring and inclusive;
- Socially adept with a love of developing new relationships;
- Energetic and dynamic team member;
- Prior volunteer experience looked highly upon.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS ROLE
- Current volunteer Working With Children Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Current National Police Check or willingness to obtain one;
- Attend periodic compulsory training outside of program hours;
- Attend bi-monthly team meetings outside of program hours;
- Able to volunteer between 2:00–5:00pm on chosen program day for a minimum of 2 school terms (6 months).
Please see the attached Position Description for additional information!
Please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Make sure to identify your preferred day of volunteering.
At RMCC, we are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we are an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, or disability.
About the organisation
How to apply
For details concerning this role , please contact
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please quote in application: Volunteer Sidekicks Senior Mentor via Pro Bono Australia.