About the Role
The International Humanity Foundation (IHF) is seeking forward-thinking, dynamic individuals of all ages/backgrounds to contribute to our international centers as part of our Volunteer Work Study Program. IHF runs children’s home in Nakuru, Kenya with approximately 50 children, as well as education centers in Bali, Medan, Banda Aceh and Jakarta, Indonesia.
As a Work Study Volunteer, you would complete four hours of local work and four hours of international work a day alongside an international staff dedicated to global development and helping children have access to more opportunities. You will have substantial responsibilities and be a valued part of a grassroots not-for-profit NGO at the ground level.
About the role
Local tasks vary from center to center, day to day.
● At our Indonesian education centers, you will teach English to young students for whom English is a tool to secure better jobs in the future.
● In our children’s home in Kenya, daily tasks will include assisting with homework and organizing projects and activities for the children once they`re back from the schools.
● At all centers, you will provide the co-Directors with needs-based assistance in the daily maintenance of the centers, becoming a part of the IHF family and integral to the work we do.
● For your international tasks, you will be assigned teams made up of volunteers from other centers and you will work on administrative tasks for not just the center you are staying in, but for the whole organization.
● Your tasks may include producing media content, assisting with fundraising efforts and generating online outreach efforts to promote our organization’s goals and projects.
This is a great opportunity to experience the overall management of an international organization and receive training in a multi-level, multifaceted work environment. Before arrival at the center, you will already become a part of the team by completing pre-trip tasks with our international teams to gain an understanding of the kind of work you will be doing.
Our foundation is run entirely by volunteers just like you, who have made commitments ranging from two weeks to multiple years. You will be supervised and guided by long-term volunteer co-Directors at your center, who will listen to your ideas and work with you on a daily basis.
● You must be fluent in written and spoken English.
● We value volunteers who are creative and innovative, willing to take responsibility and easily adapt to new conditions and unexpected situations.
● The duration of the program is 4 weeks (fixed).
● Minimum age 18 years old.
Each IHF center is a product of its environment and follows the cultural code and norms of its host country. So must our staff and interns. Our volunteers must have high inter-cultural sensitivity and be tolerant to different views and ways of life.
We provide basic accommodation and food at our centers, where you will live with your co-workers. Unfortunately, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide these amenities freely and we charge $75 per week.
We are not able to cover travel or insurance expenses or any other related costs, but we will help you with your travel and visa planning. We will also try to comply with guidelines to secure any grant or scholarship funding available at your university.
Long Term Work Study
For those volunteers interested in a longer commitment and even more fulfilling experience, we also offer an extended version of the program- Long Term Work Study.
It is a perfect opportunity to significantly change the lives of our children through the work on various long term projects such as: improving the marks and personal guidance, improving the behaviour, fundraising projects and many more.
You will leave IHF with new highly transferable skills, a better understanding of international NGOs, and an unforgettable experience that will last the rest of your life.
The conditions of the program:
– The program is only available in Bali, Indonesia (3 months fixed) and Nakuru, Kenya (2-12 months)
– We charge 75$ per week for the first 4 weeks of your stay and 55$ per week for any subsequent weeks.
– The minimum age is 21 years old.
If you are interested in a longer, even more substantial experience, we also offer a 3-6 months Internship Program at Bali, Indonesia or Nakuru, Kenya. In this role, you will complete the four hours of international work and four hours of local work as part of the Work Study Program, but will have increased responsibility and more opportunity to particularize your tasks to your skills. If you are interested in a more involved experience, please apply for the Work Study Program and note your interest in the Internship Program. We will work with you to assess your skills and how you can best contribute your time.
Please familiarize yourself further with our organization reading the IHF Annual report 2014 that contains the latest information about IHF Centers, Programs, Achievements, Finances and many more at http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1317609/1928b08739/TEST/TEST/ and our our blog where you can find stories of current and former volunteers http://ihfblog.wordpress.com/home/.
We were given a 2013 Inspiring Story – Responsible Tourism Award! Read more about it at http://rt.wildasia.org/2013/10/25/2013-inspiring-stories-destinations/.
See our great ratings at http://greatnonprofits.org/reviews/international-humanity-foundation-1/.
If you have any questions about our organization or programs, please contact email@example.com.
If you are ready to apply, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organisation
Apply for this Position
For details concerning this role , please contact
Please quote in application: work study kenya via Pro Bono Australia.