About the Role
- Facilitate holistic support to female victims of domestic violence
- Pivotal role within a dedicated domestic violence unit
- Part time position 3 days per week, based in Dubbo NSW, travel required
This position is crucial to the effective operation of the DVU and will work very closely with the solicitors of the DVU, taking direction from the senior solicitor, and participating in community legal education, law reform initiatives and activities and outreach work in communities within the region.
You will, where possible and practical to do so, conduct initial safety and needs assessment for new clients before a solicitor sees them, identifying the non-legal assistance they require. You will continue to support and assist female victims of family and/or domestic violence (and their children) in various ways including:
- Ongoing safety assessment and arranging emergency accommodation
- Help to access counselling services
- Providing support when dealing with police and other agencies
- Court support
- Flexible, supportive and collaborative workplace
- Attractive salary package and benefits including additional paid leave over Christmas
- Assistance with relocation, travel and meal allowances
You will have a background providing support to victims of domestic and/or family violence or trauma, including case management. You are understanding, non-judgemental and compassionate in your approach towards clients and are conscious of their complex trauma. With a tertiary qualification in social work, welfare or a related discipline, you can demonstrate:
- Ability to identify clients’ needs and develop appropriate case management plans
- Understanding of domestic violence, its complexities and consequences
- Experience undertaking safety planning and risk assessments for women experiencing domestic violence, and their children
- Willingness to work in close partnership with legal staff and other stakeholders to deliver a holistic service to clients
- Understanding of, and commitment to, social justice issues for marginalised people, particularly Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and those experiencing economic, social and cultural disadvantage and lack of access to legal services
- A current driver’s license and the ability to travel to remote and rural areas
About the Organisation
Western NSW Community Legal Centre (WNSWCLC) is a not for profit non-government organisation providing free, accessible, high quality legal and non-legal holistic services for disadvantaged people across the Orana and Western regions of the state. WNSWCLC also provides a dedicated domestic violence unit (DVU) with solicitors and caseworkers facilitating assistance to female victims of family and domestic violence.
WNSWCLC promotes access to justice:
- For people within its region who are disadvantaged by their social, cultural and economic circumstances
- By conducting law reform and community legal education
Apply for this Job
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Caseworker via Pro Bono Australia.