About the Role
IJM is a global organisation that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. IJM partners with local authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors and strengthen justice systems. IJM lawyers, investigators, social workers, community activists and other professionals collaborate with local law enforcement to combat slavery, sex trafficking, rape, police brutality, property grabbing and other forms of violence.
IJM’s vision to 2030 is to rescue millions, protect half a billion and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
IJM is Christian, Professional and Bridge Building. Our Christian value manifests not only in our motivation but also in our culture and work environment, including daily devotions, stillness and prayer.
International Justice Mission Australia is seeking an Interim Director of Corporate & Legal (maternity leave cover) / Manager Corporate and Legal (fixed contract with potential for extension) to lead the organisation’s government relations and advocacy initiatives in line with IJM’s global strategy to end slavery. This position drives the organisation’s government relations, policy and advocacy initiatives, strategic counsel and thought leadership, international capacity building and opening/securing of scaled funding.
In line with IJM Australia’s strategic priorities the interim Director/Manager of Corporate & Legal will:
- In collaboration with the leadership team, pioneer and implement IJM Australia’s advocacy and government relations initiatives to secure 2018 organisational objectives
- Build and develop key government stakeholder relationships to promote the work of IJM Australia and effect legislative reform in relation to modern slavery and cybersex trafficking.
- Represent IJM Australia at relevant government and business forums.
- Draft legislative reform and/or policy recommendations to advance IJM’s mission to end modern day slavery at a State and Federal Level.
- In partnership, lead IJM Australia’s Corporate and Legal team in executing strategy, delivery and development.
- Manage IJM Australia’s input into relevant advocacy and training programs in the field.
- Manage the development of submissions, funding applications, position papers and briefings.
- Work with the Advancement division to message and leverage government relations activities and advocacy wins to develop strong storytelling campaigns and raise revenue.
Skills, Experience and Attributes
To be successful in this position you will have:
- Tertiary or postgraduate qualification/s in relevant industry i.e. public policy, law, business
- 5+ years professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to build trust and strong working relationships with people of influence within the government and corporate sectors.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Chief Executive and Board Committees.
- Highly developed analytical skills and demonstrated ability to understand the impact of, and form a response to, policy initiatives.
- A proven track record delivering significant projects that align with organisational strategy and support effective advocacy.
- Significant experience in developing organisation positions either within government or on behalf of an organisation to influence policy
- Strong planning and organisational skills • Strong communication (written and verbal) skills
You will also:
- Align with IJM’s organisational values: Christian – Professional – Bridge Builder
- Have a servant heart with a desire to serve and advocate on behalf of the poor and oppressed
- Value personal and professional integrity
- Be prepared to undergo National Criminal History checks
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word and PowerPoint)
- Proficiency with record keeping in contact relationship management systems (CRMs)
- Fundraising experience
- Media and/or PR experience
What we offer:
- A very inspiring work environment. Your work makes a difference in the lives of the thousands of clients IJM is serving. You are part of a passionate global team of professionals – characterised by an atmosphere of personal involvement and determination to bring justice, transform communities and end slavery
- Opportunity to professionally develop your skills & attribute
- Opportunity for spiritual formation
- IJM Australia provides a flexible working environment
- Generous salary sacrifice options
IJM works globally to protect the poor from violence. While IJM does not conduct or support specific casework in Australia, the nature of our work in the field means that employees of IJM Australia are regularly dealing with and communicating confronting and difficult stories and operational information that may be triggering for some people. A key focus of our work is to support our offices in the Philippines as they work to combat the online exploitation (cybersex trafficking) of children.
This requires IJM Australia staff to acquire a strong understanding of the nature of this type of crime, the perpetrators, victims and their experiences, aftercare strategies and challenges, and staff may be required to acquire knowledge of specific cases (which may involve Australian paedophiles) as well as an understanding of the context in which these crimes take place. IJM provides strong internal support mechanisms for staff, however it is important for potential candidates to carefully consider this information prior to submitting and application for this position.
Please send a one-page cover letter outlining your suitability for the position including your demonstrated commitment to IJM Australia’s values as detailed above, along with your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
IJM Australia is interviewing and recruiting for this position as applications are received, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
About the Organisation
Apply for this Job
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Interim Director of Corporate and Legal/Manager (maternity leave) via Pro Bono Australia.