About the Role
As Community Organiser, you will work with our volunteer network, strengthen local groups and nurture emerging leaders to help them be effective champions for positive action on climate and energy issues across NSW.
Specifically, you will help individuals, groups and emerging leaders acquire the skills they will need to build people power within their community to influence all political parties and local candidates to adopt ambitious climate and energy policies.
The Community Organiser’s work will occur within the framework of our Repower campaign, which aims to break free from our reliance on coal and gas and embrace a clean energy future.
The Community Organiser position is an ideal opportunity for someone with a passion for working with people and grassroots organisations to keep our climate safe and to help nature thrive.
We are seeking applications from people who want full-time or part-time work.
Key Responsibilities will be:
Build a movement for clean energy
- Implement tactics to build a movement of people across NSW calling for a rapid transition from coal to clean energy;
- Recruit and manage volunteers, both in our office and remotely; and
- Use cutting-edge technology to optimise our impact.
Establish a regular volunteer program
- Establish and run monthly volunteer information nights to recruit new volunteer leaders to NCC, and create pathways for volunteers to engage in our campaigns;
- Organise a monthly phonebank session; and
- Support leaders to find their own way to contribute to our vision.
Deepen engagement and connection to NCC and our work to act on climate change and protect nature
- Co-organise a Repower Summit to inspire and train volunteers to lead the Repower campaign in their community; and
- Use our Circles of Commitment framework by developing strategies to build a movement of supporters taking more powerful actions.
Recruit and support an online action group
- Develop new ways to empower our supporters to take action online to overcome the anti-renewables campaign and build public pressure for the transition to clean energy.
In a typical week as our Community Organiser you may:
- Call supporters to motivate them to attend a volunteer meeting;
- Talk on the phone with leaders from a local action group and support them to host an event;
- Develop an action plan for a major state-wide tactic;
- Recruit high-profile speakers to present at a public forum; and
- Write an email to 100 volunteers encouraging them to call in to talk-back radio.
The ideal candidate for this role has:
- At least two years’ experience in a campaigning or organising role in either an environmental, social or political organisation, including the ability to build and maintain professional relationships;
- Demonstrated project- and event-management skills;
- Strong communication skills, including experience motivating people to take online and offline action through email and social media;
- Experience running trainings, information sessions and/or volunteer meetings; and
- Strong alignment with our vision and a commitment to building volunteer leadership.
- Sound knowledge of environment and climate change issues, particularly renewable energy, coal mining, or energy systems;
- Experience using the circles of commitment or ladder of engagement frameworks; and
- A driver’s licence and access to a car.
About the Organisation
The Nature Conservation Council and the environment groups we represent have been winning protections for nature in NSW for more than 60 years. We’ve been at the centre of many of the state’s iconic conservation battles, and have notched up countless wins for nature and local communities.
Today, we work to clean up the state’s dirty electricity system, end unsustainable tree clearing on farms and in our forests, bring our rivers back to health, and give the marine life in our coastal waters the protection it deserves. You can find more information about our work as the voice for nature in NSW at www.nature.org.au.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 02 9516 1488
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Community Organiser via Pro Bono Australia.