About the role
Are you passionate about social inclusion for all?
Maybe you have a lived experience of a family member with disability?
This role is an opportunity to share your advocacy skills to support families.
- Located in Hornsby, 5-minute walk from the train station
- Permanent, Part Time – 24-30 hrs/week
- Share your advocacy skills
If you want to support and develop others, then consider this diverse part-time position. The role offers the chance to enact your belief for social inclusion for all, work with families and see the skills and confidence of others grow. Be part of a passionate organisation that actively works towards social change from grassroots to systems transformation.
This role will be supporting, assisting and contributing to the enhancement of families’ knowledge and skills to enable them to effectively advocate for a life of meaningful community inclusion for their family member with disability. This will require drive, dedication, fresh ideas and thoughtful responses to the work of the team and the families we support.
We are seeking a passionate person with a strong shared values base and commitment to working with families, preferably with lived experience.
What you will be doing:
- Supporting and developing the leadership of families
- Providing advocacy advice, follow-up and referrals
- Developing information and resources for families
- Promoting and coordinating the events and the advocacy function of the organisation
- Commitment to the full inclusion of people with developmental disability
- Commitment to the strength of families around a person with developmental disability
- Experience in organising and promoting workshops
- Experience in the development of workshop content or a willingness to learn
- Experience in leading or co-leading workshops or a willingness to learn
- Demonstrated capability of working with families
- Demonstrated research skills
- Demonstrated report writing skills
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Current driver’s licence and capacity to travel around NSW to attend and/or present seminars
- Capacity to occasionally work weekends and evenings
- Lived experience with a family member with disability
- Exposure to Social Role Valorisation
Based: Hornsby Hours: 24-30 per week Commencement: Immediately
Salary: Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services (SCHADS) Industry Award 2010, Level 4.1 – 4.3 (depending on experience)
About the organisation
Family Advocacy is an independent disability advocacy organisation which works across NSW. We work with families in which there is a child or an adult with developmental disability. Our mission is to attain positive social roles for people with disability through the development and support of advocacy by families. We achieve this through strengthening the knowledge, role and influence of families.
Our work is directed towards enabling and supporting families to speak up for people with disability so they can enjoy the same environment, lifestyle and living conditions that are available to the majority of Australians.
How to apply
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Advocacy and Leadership Coordinator via Pro Bono Australia.