About the Role
Applications are invited from individuals with relevant governance experience to fill a number of
Board vacancies at Metro Assist Limited. Ideally, candidates will have a working knowledge of contract management, be financially literate, understand risk management, bring business acumen to the organisation and contribute to setting mid to long-term business strategies; and be able to apply these skills and experiences in a not-for-profit environment. Successful candidates would be appointed at the Annual General Meeting in November, following a nominations process.
Time commitments for Directors normally occur after-hours. The Board currently meets bimonthly,
with sub-committee meetings in the intervening period and the occasional invitation to key
Our core values are about:
• caring for people
• being respectful
• focussing on our clients’ needs
• acting with honesty and integrity, and
• innovating so that our services are relevant and effective
Metro Assist Limited is a not-for-profit organisation which delivers a range of community services
which are detailed on our website www.metroassist.org.au In 2016 the organisation’s legal status
transitioned from an Incorporated Association to a Company Limited by Guarantee. Annual reports
for the past three years can be viewed at http://www.metroassist.org.au/about-us/about-us-2.htm.
Our constitution currently allows for 9 Directors.
- Directorships are voluntary positions with no sitting fees. Reasonable out-of-pocket expenses will be reimbursed.
- The Board meets after-hours (generally 6:00pm to 8:30pm) bimonthly at our main office in
Level 2/59-63 Evaline Street, Campsie. Directors are encouraged to take up sub-committee
roles with meetings which can be face-to-face or teleconference. Frequency of subcommittee
meetings vary from monthly to quarterly meetings as determined by the Board.
Sub-committees oversee finance, risk, social enterprise and strategic plan implementation.
- Current and new Directors are strongly encouraged to participate in an induction workshop
to familiarise themselves with the organisation, its functions, key policies and Directors’
responsibilities and to meet the leadership team. From time to time, specific workshops are
run on such things as risk appetite or other Board and organisational development activities
such as our annual strategic planning and review days.
- Directors may be invited to key stakeholder events or where a local MP or Minister may visit
our programs or events.
- All Directors and staff are subject to Working With Children Check and Police Check, and
must adhere to the organisation’s Code of Conduct.
The contribution of Directors impacts on the Board’ overall performance. As a guide:
- There is an expectation that Directors have an 80% participation rate to ensure a quorum so
that key decisions and the organisation’s business is not delayed.
- Management will make every effort to circulate business papers with sufficient time for
Directors to read and prepare any questions for the meeting. If there are no questions and
recommendations arising from individual management reports, these will be taken as read.
- Business papers are distributed electronically. We are currently exploring ways of
streamlining and cutting down reliance on paper-based reports by trialing an online
- Sub-committee meetings focus on key elements in more detail. Sub-committees report and
make recommendations to the Board, they cannot make decisions on behalf of the Board
unless otherwise delegated.
- Directors may also receive email updates from the CEO around critical incidents and matters
requiring urgent attention that occur out-of-session.
About the Organisation
Metro Assist Limited is a not-for-profit organisation with 32 years in providing community services in
the Inner West and Canterbury Bankstown areas including settlement services for newly-arrived
migrants and refugees, family services, tenant advocacy, financial counselling, employment support
and community engagement activities.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Elena Berrocal Capdevila
Phone : 0404380433
Email : email@example.com
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Director via Pro Bono Australia.