About the role
- Location: Dandenong (Southern)
- Full time position
The Functional Family Therapy – Child Welfare therapist will work as part of a larger team of family therapists to deliver a five-phase program to Aboriginal families.
The position requires the therapist to work with the family through a series of designed modules to address risks and issues including family conflict, mental health, substance abuse and family violence.
The therapist will be required to undertake training in the FFT child welfare model and to work within this framework of practice and maintain fidelity to the model.
This position will require the therapist to work outside of usual business hours and on weekends as needed by the family.
To be considered for this role you must demonstrate:
- Awareness and appreciation of Aboriginal communities and culture and an understanding of the issues affecting Aboriginal people in contemporary Australia
- An ability to work in a culturally respectful and competent manner with young people, their families and communities to ensure that cultural connections are fostered and maintained.
- Demonstrated experience and or ability to support Aboriginal families and to work with Aboriginal agencies
- Demonstrated understanding and/or experience using family therapy practices, understanding of Best Interest Case Practice Model, Attachment and Trauma theories
- Proven ability to provide therapeutic individual and family assessment, and to develop effective strategies.
- Highly developed interpersonal and engagement skills, especially in families who have experienced significant trauma and are in crisis
- A track record of working collaboratively and demonstrated capacity to work within a multidisciplinary team and independently
- An appropriate tertiary qualification in Family Therapy, Social Work, Psychology, Youth Work or a related discipline is essential. Post Graduate training in relevant child, adolescent and family clinical practice, family work and systemic thinking is strongly preferred
- Ability to work flexibly including after business hours and on weekends
- Current Victorian Drivers licence
About the organisation
Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) operates within the context that Aboriginal children continue to be significantly overrepresented in the protection and care system within Victoria. VACCA considers that it has the responsibility and the opportunity to promote, advocate for and achieve positive changes in the lives of Aboriginal children, their families and the broader Aboriginal community.
If you like to be part of an Organization that strives in strengthening the safety and wellbeing and cultural connectedness of Aboriginal children, individuals and families in their community, we want to hear from you.
How to apply for this role
Applications not allowed for this job listing.
Please quote in application: Family Practitioner - Functional Family Therapy via Pro Bono Australia.