About the Role
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking a highly-qualified applicant for the position of Manager to support relationships with donors and prospects and represent the work of Human Rights Watch in Melbourne. This position is part-time at 24 hours per week (60% schedule). The Manager is based in Melbourne and reports to the Associate Director, Development and Outreach Department, based in Sydney. This is a fixed-term position for one year and the anticipated start date is for October 2018.
- Work with the Associate Director to identify, cultivate, service and solicit individual donors, prospects and Committee members;
- Work in partnership with the Associate Director of Development and Outreach on the fundraising strategy for Melbourne and its implementation;
- Manage the production of fundraising, outreach and cultivation events in Melbourne, including HRW’s annual Voices for Justice dinner, researcher briefings, film screenings, advocacy and cultivation events;
- Manage various aspects of the Melbourne Committee including Committee meetings, executive meetings, sub-committee meetings, communications, and special events and projects;
- Build relationships with the Melbourne Committee members and help support the activities of our Melbourne Outreach Committee;
- Manage communications with constituents via phone, mail, and electronic media;
- Oversee prospect and donor research and manage Raiser’s Edge donor entry;
- Create and track guest lists, donor lists, fundraising, and expenses for all events;
- Create agendas, event materials, invitations, and background materials, and conduct follow-up to meetings;
- Coordinate and manage development web content, newsletters, and e-mailings;
- Deliver outputs in a timely manner and be consistent with the agreed strategy and priorities of the Development Department; and
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education: An undergraduate degree in related field is required. An advanced degree is highly desirable.
Experience: Four years of fundraising or other relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience coordinating events, preferably large-scale events, is required.
- Demonstrated experience fundraising and managing high-level relationships is required.
- Experience developing corporate sponsorship relationships is desirable.
- Creativity, initiative, follow-through and excellent organizational skills are required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required.
- The ability to work well under pressure and to manage multiple priorities, working effectively toward deadlines is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work collaboratively within Human Rights Watch as well as with external partners are required.
- Strong technology skills, including experience with donor databases and knowledge of social media are required.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and the discipline to work independently, but also the ability to function as a member of a development team is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights and/or international issues and the capacity to master and represent the mission and programs of Human Rights Watch are highly desirable.
Duration: Initial fixed-term employment for a one-year period. Renewable dependent upon availability of continued funding.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We do not discriminate in hiring practices and actively seek a diverse applicant pool. We encourage candidates of all abilities, ages, gender identities and expressions, national origins, races and ethnicities, religious beliefs, sexual orientations, and those with criminal records to apply. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Organisation
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights - related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
Apply for this Job
For details concerning this role, please contact
Phone : 02 9221 9422
How to Apply: Please apply immediately by visiting our online job portal via this link: careers.hrw.org and attaching a letter of interest and resume or CV. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email email@example.com. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Please quote in application: Manager, Development and Outreach via Pro Bono Australia.